Are you a fan of chocolate milk? If so, you’ll be delighted to know that there’s a day called National Chocolate Milk Day dedicated to celebrating this delicious chocolate beverage.
Did you have chocolate milk as kid? If so, I encourage you to use today to be like a child again and pour yourself a glass of chocolate milk while learning about this national day.
I’ve included a recipe for homemade chocolate milk that only takes five minutes at the bottom of the page. It’s both easy to make and delicious!
Whether you prefer cold chocolate milk or warm hot chocolate, this day is for you! Let’s dive in and talk about National Chocolate Milk Day.
What is National Chocolate Milk Day?
National Chocolate Milk Day falls annually on September 27, and is dedicated to its namesake beverage.
Chocolate milk has a rich, velvety taste, and a long history. A physician named Sir Hans Sloane is credited with inventing the drink, but there’s actually more to the story.
With a beverage so delicious, even though the national day falls in September, I wouldn’t blame you if you wanted to drink this treat all year long!
Chocolate milk facts
Brush up on your knowledge of this delicious beverage with these facts about chocolate milk.
- Chocolate milk was invented in Jamaica.
- English apothecaries sold chocolate milk as a medicine when the beverage was first introduced to the country.
- One of the main ingredients in chocolate milk is cocoa, which is not to be confused with cacao. Cacao is the plant from which cocoa, also known as chocolate, is produced.
- There are 5 mg of caffeine in 1 cup of chocolate milk.
- In 1828 Coenraad Van Houten invented the chocolate press which made a chocolate powder that was easy to dissolve in milk, making chocolate milk more uniform in texture.
- Chocolate is one of the minor Valentine’s Day symbols – making this beverage festive in February too!
The links below are affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
How to observe National Chocolate Milk Day
Want to celebrate? Try one of the options below to observe the national day dedicated to this chocolate beverage.
- Pretend that you’re a kid again and make yourself a glass of chocolate milk with the recipe at the bottom of this page. Yum!
- Plan a trip to Jamaica, the birthplace of chocolate milk.
- Buy a decor piece that shows your love for chocolate. I’ve linked some cute pieces above.
- Pack a bagged lunch like when you were a kid, and make sure to include a carton of chocolate milk.
- Go to a chocolatier and treat yourself to a piece (or two!) of gourmet chocolate.
- Use the hashtag #NationalChocolateMilkDay to spread the word about the day on social media. Here is a tweet to get you started:
More September 27 national days
Did you enjoy learning about National Chocolate Milk Day? Well you’re in luck, September 27 is host to more than just one national day!
Here is a complete list of all the September 27 national days:
- National Chocolate Milk Day
- National Crush a Can Day
- National Corned Beef Hash Day
- National Gay Men’s HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- National Scarf Day
- Ancestor Appreciation Day
- World Tourism Day
What is a national day?
National days are fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Make sure to check out my national day’s guide for more fun days to celebrate!
There are nearly to 2000 national days in the year and over 150 of them occur in September.
Is food your thing? Each day of the month has a food or drink associated with it, too. You’ll find all the September food holidays here.
Be sure to also check out these other national days this month:
- National Fortune Cookie Day – Learn more about this day, and celebrate it with a no sew fortune cookie tutorial.
- National White Chocolate Day – Are you a fan of white chocolate? Make sure to check out this post filled with recipes featuring white chocolate to celebrate the day.
- National Johnny Appleseed Day – Who is Johnny Appleseed and why does he have a national day named after him? Read the post to find out!
Pin this post on National Chocolate Milk Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Chocolate Milk Day? Just pin this image to one of your drinks boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a whisk, or a fork. However, it might not be as smooth as if you used an immersion blender. You can use any type of milk you like - whole milk, skim milk, almond milk, oat milk, etc. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 9g
If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a whisk, or a fork. However, it might not be as smooth as if you used an immersion blender.
You can use any type of milk you like - whole milk, skim milk, almond milk, oat milk, etc.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.
Since graduating from The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Jess has been living and working in Los Angeles, CA. She is a freelance writer, specializing in content related to fashion, food and drink and film industry topics. Find out more about Jess here.