Do you know that every day of the year has at least one National Day associated with it? Here at Always the Holidays, we love to celebrate all of the national days with crafts, food and fun ideas.
This National Days Guide is your go-to page for all the cool facts about crazy, foodie and fun national days.
This page grows every week, as I do new tutorials, round ups and recipes to celebrate these fun days.
Be sure to check back often to see what new National Day has been added to the list.
What is a National Day?
A national day is a day of the year which is celebrated by nations and countries around the world in a special way.
Traditionally, the words “national days” were used to celebrate days when a country became independent, but in modern times, we often use the word for trending and popular topics.
Many of the foodie national days are celebrated with food and drink, but other National Days are observed in many different ways.
There are hundreds of popular national days celebrated in the USA and around the world. Some tie in closely with popular national holidays, and others tie in with the weather or with popular monthly trends.
There are so many popular days out there, that it’s next to impossible for a single site to list them all.
Here at Always the Holidays, I choose the ones that fit in with some of my own personal likes – food, drinks nature and decor.
Are National Days Official?
Both holidays and national days can be either official of unofficial. In order for it to be an official day, it must be sanctioned by the government.
Many of the national days are unofficial – i.e. a person or a company came up with the day it and it just took off with other people.
There is even a day (March 26) called Make Up Your Own Holiday Day. This day is for people to think up of a thing, person, animal, phrase, or food and create a holiday to celebrate it with their friends.
Many times national days become popular because they are celebrated on Social Media with special hashtags. #nationalday #internationalday are two and each National day also has its own hashtag.There are almost 2000 National Days of the year. Come celebrate them with us at Always The Holidays! #nationaldays #internationalday Click To Tweet
More and more companies and websites are now allowing people to submit ideas for new national days.
With so many national days to consider, I have divided my list of the pages of information about the various national days into main topics to make it easier for you to find your favorite.
This page is updated almost weekly with new information as I add new posts to the site. Be sure to keep checking back to see what is new this week.
National Days Associated with Food and Drink
With so many tasty food ideas, it’s no wonder that many national days are associated with food in some way.
And since, I love to eat, it’s no surprise that many of the National day pages on my site focus on food.
Check these tasty national days for some inspiration for your next gathering.
Pasta Food National Days
Do you love Pasta? Celebrate these pasta inspired national days with us.
- Start the year out in a tasty way by discovering some new recipes for National Spaghetti day on January 4.
- Celebrate National Pasta Day on October 17 with one of these Pasta Recipes and some fun facts.
Sweet Treat National Days
Give your sweet tooth a boost with these tasty dessert inspired National Food Days.
- This rich dark chocolate is used in cooking and for a tangy snack. Find out all about National Bittersweet Chocolate Day, (celebrated January 10) here.
- Enjoy one of our favorite frozen sweet treats on National Frozen Yogurt Day – February 6.
- National Chocolate Mint Day is another of the tasty chocolate days. This one comes on February 19.
- George Washington chopped down the cherry tree and we make cherry pies now especially on National Cherry Pie Day on February 20.
- February 28 is National Chocolate Soufflé Day. Get some fun facts and learn the history, as well as a recipe for an easy chocolate soufflé.
- Get the great taste of peanuts and chocolate at home with these recipes for National Peanut Cluster Day on March 8.
- Maine is the home of the blueberry production. Check our this tasty recipes for Blueberry Pie Day, celebrated April 28.
- Get your taste buds ready for a slice of pie. It’s National Coconut Cream Pie Day on May 8.
- Chocolate Covered Cashew Day – Everything goes better with chocolate, not just cashews.
- Girl Scout Cookie Day – Celebrate this tasty national day with one of these Copycat Girl Scout Recipes.
- Homemade cookie day – Who needs an excuse to bake cookies?
- Treat your family to a sweet start for breakfast with these recipes from National Cinnamon Crescent Day on April 10.
- April 13 is National Peach Cobbler Day. Find out about the rich history of the day and get some tasty recipes to share.
- Join me on May 9 and get baking for National Butterscotch Brownie Day. These recipes are super tasty!
- Time to tempt your sweet tooth in spades. National Nutty Fudge Day is celebrated on May 12.
- Celebrate the camping favorite indoors with this fun s’mores on a stick treat for National S’mores Day on August 10
- White Chocolate Day is September 22 – These tasty dessert ideas will have your family asking for more.
- Who doesn’t love National Chocolate Day? it is a great time to make these Oreo mummy pops!
- Are you a fan of vodka? You are inn luck! October 4 is celebrated each year as National Vodka Day. Find out about the day and get some new vodka cocktails to try.
- National Cake Decorating Day is October 10. Celebrate with some cake decorating tips and recipes.
- October 31 celebrates National Caramel Apple Day each year. There are so many toppings for caramel apples. Get a homemade recipe to honor the day.
- November 4 is National Candy Day. Get some fun facts and home made candy recipes.
It’s the main course time for Food Holidays
These main course food holidays will have the whole family trying something new for dinner tonight.
- These lucky foods for New Year’s Day are supposed to bring good fortune to you all year long. Enjoy them on New Year’s Day.
- Chicken curries are popular around the world. January 12 is Curried Chicken Day. Find out all about it.
- Warm up from the winter cold with a bowl of soup on National Homemade Soup Day on February 4.
- Cook up a bowl of steaming hot chili to celebrate National Chili Day on the fourth Thursday in February.
- The first Thursday in April is celebrated as National Burrito Day. Time to get some recipes ready for Cinco de Mayo next month!
- Get out the griddle on April 12 to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day.
- May 10 is the time to celebrate National Shrimp Day. Find out about this tasty crustacean and get some recipes.
- June 2 is celebrated each year as National Rotisserie Chicken Day. Grab one and make some of these recipes.
- Are you an oyster lover? National Oyster Day, on August 5, is the day to celebrate this seafood. Discover all the ways to eat oysters and learn some fun facts about the food.
Snacking National Food Holidays
Grab a snack and setting down for movie night with these snack inspired food national days.
- Grab some milk and a peanut butter cookie for National Peanut Butter Day on January 24.
- Enjoy the Super Bowl Game with chicken wings. Super Chicken Wing Day is celebrated the same day.
- And if that is not enough, Super Bowl Sunday is also National Pork Rind Appreciation Day. Get some recipes to honor the day!
- Fill a bowl and start snacking. It’s National Pistachio Day on February 26.
- March 1 is the day to celebrate National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day.
- March 4 is celebrated each year as National Snack Day. I made a special Lucky Charms snack mix just to celebrate this tasty day.
- It’s party time on March 23! Serve up one of these delicious National Chip and Dip Day recipes.
- Start your next party off with a bang with these recipes for National Cheese Ball Day on April 17.
- National Nut day is October 22. Make some toasted pecans to enjoy as a snack.
- Chocolate, hazelnuts and yum all in one tasty “nutella” pudding pops! Today we make a switch to do it Paleo style. Perfect for National Nutella Day.
- You can add pretzels to recipes in so many ways! Find out more about National Pretzel Day here.
- Coconuts are a versatile food that is great for snacking and in recipes. Learn about National Coconut Day on June 26 here.
Don’t forget the Drinks National Holidays!
It’s not just food that gets a national day. Lots of drinks do too!
- Enjoy a warm winter cocktail for National Hot Buttered Rum Day on January 17.
- January 25 is National Irish Coffee Day. Find out about the origin of Irish coffee. You’ll be surprised to learn that it wouldn’t have come to be without flying boats, a humorous chef, & bad weather.
- Warm up those winter bones with hot chocolate for National Hot Chocolate Day on January 31.
- National Cafe au Lait Day is celebrated on February 19. Find out the difference between this drink and a latte.
- February 24 is World Bartender Day. Brush up on the history of bartending and get some drinks to practice your bartending skills.
- Time to raise a glass and celebrate. March 24 is National Cocktail Day.
- Pour yourself a cold one to celebrate National Beer Day on April 7.
- If you love drinking tea, this holiday is for you. Find out more about National Tea Day, celebrated on April 21.
- Grab a glass of America’s favorite drink on May 8 for National Have a Coke Day.
- No matter your drink of choice, May 6, National Beverage Day, is the day to raise a glass to celebrate.
- Welcome in the taste of summer in a glass with National Mint Julep Day on May 30.
- Shaken or stirred, the choice is yours, but be sure to set aside June 19 to celebrate National Martini Day.
- July 10 is National Pina Colada Day! Find out what’s in a pina colada and learn about the pina colada origin to celebrate the day.
- September 27 is celebrated as National Chocolate Milk Day. Get an easy five minute recipe for everyone’s favorite drink.
- November 18 is the day to enjoy a glass of warm apple cider. Celebrate the day with one of these recipes on Apple Cider Day.
- November 23 is celebrated each year as National Espresso Day. Fill up a shot and learn more about this popular national day.
Sides Galore get a National Food Day
Flesh out your meals with these side dishes food holidays.
- Artichoke hearts may seem intimidating but they really aren’t. Find out how to celebrate National Artichoke Hearts Day for March 16.
- Love carbs? Be sure to check out National French Bread day on March 21.
- Spinach is a superfood. Find out why and get some recipes to celebrate National Spinach Day on March 26.
- Set some time apart on the first Monday in April for Sweet Potato Day.
- Bake up a batch of biscuits for National Buttermilk Biscuit Day on May 14. It’s time for some home style Southern Cooking!
Breakfast Inspired Food Holidays
Breakfast is the first meal of the day and the perfect time to celebrate these early morning food holidays.
- Canadian Bacon Day is celebrated on March 3. Find out how to use it in breakfast and other recipes.
- This breakfast treat is so popular it has two days names after it! Check out fun facts of International Waffle Day and also National Waffle Day.
- October 29 is National Oatmeal Day. Try these caramel apple oatmeal bars for a tasty dessert.
Calendars of National Food Holidays
Each month has its own list of National Food Days.
There are too many National Food Days to list them all here, so I have pages devoted to each month. You can find them here:
- National Food Days of January
- February National Food Holidays
- National Food Days in March
- National Food Days of April
- National Food Days of May
- List of Food Days in June
More to come soon!!
Holiday Themed National Days
Each of the holidays have their own traditional day on the calendar, but around holiday time, there are also many national days that celebrate one aspect of them.
Wondering why gingerbread is associated with Christmas, or pumpkins go with both Thanksgiving and Halloween?
Check out these holiday themed national days for more information.
The calendar features 12 animals in a repeating cycle. 2021 is considered the Year of the Ox.
On November 21, we celebrate National Gingerbread Cookie Day. Find out more about this tasty day and get a special gingerbread cookie recipe.
National Gingerbread House day is December 12. This posts will give you some inspiration for your gingerbread project.
- Candy Gingerbread house tutorial.
- Round up of Gingerbread houses.
- 14 Amazing Gingerbread house ideas.
Recipes to celebrate Oktoberfest, a European Fall holiday that is observed around the world.
October 31 is not just about Halloween. It’s also Carve a Pumpkin Day. Find out more about the day and learn some interesting pumpkin facts.
Celebrate Pumpkin Cheesecake Day for the Thanksgiving holiday with these Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins.
What would the holidays be without ham? Use up those leftovers from the holidays with one of these recipes for National Glazed Ham Day .
Cinco de Mayo is a great time to celebrate National Tortilla Chip Day . Check out one of these delicious recipes for home made tortilla chips, nachos and dip ideas.
While October 31 is normally associated with Halloween, another holiday – Samhain is still sometimes practiced. This is because the traditions of Samhain are steeped in the spiritual history of Halloween.
Both Halloween and Thanksgiving seem to feature this popular candy. Candy Corn Day is October 30. I have several recipes that you could use to celebrate this fun day:
- Candy Corn Pudding Pops
- Rice Krispie Candy Corn Turkey Balls
- Candy Corn Pecan Fudge
- 20 Candy Corn Recipes
- Candy Corn Pretzel Fudge
All Saint’s Day comes on the day after Halloween, November 1, and leads to another spiritual day – All Soul’s Day on November 2. While neither are practiced as normal holidays, they are both very important religious people.
National Days for Animals
Animals are a popular topic when it comes to celebrating National Days. This category is new to my calendar. Be sure to check out soon for more national days articles about our furry and lovable friends.
Animal Cracker Day is such a fun day. Kids and the young at hear will enjoy celebrating with one of these fun recipes.
March 23 does double duty. It’s celebrated as National Puppy Day and also Cuddly Kitten Day.
April 2 is celebrated as National Ferret Day. This highly intelligent animal has been domesticated for centuries. Find out more about the ferret.
Bond with your furry friend for National Pet Day on April 11. Buy a treat, take a walk, visit a shelter!
Grab a blanket and a picnic basket on April 23 for National Picnic Day.
The last Saturday in April is honored as Go Birding Day. Get your binoculars and go bird watching!
Will Punxsutawney Phil see his shadow this year for National Groundhog Day? Find out all about this fun national day.
Put down the electronics and get out the books for Dr. Seuss Day (also known as National Read Across America Day.)
Get some fun facts about the mythical creature unicorn on April 9 for National Unicorn Day.
Time to Take care of the planet for National Earth Day each year in April.
August 17 is set aside each year in honor of a misunderstood pet. Check out Black Cat Appreciation Day for more details
Find out more about the (almost) lost art of letter writing on December 7, which is celebrated each year as National Letter Writing Day.
Unusual National Days of the Year
It is not just food, holidays and animals that get their turn with National Days. Some normal day to day inventions, business and items get a turn too.
If you love trivia, you’ll be interested in these interesting National Days of the year.
Another day that deals with your early goals is Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day. Find out why this day exists!
Decorate your cars, books and windows with a sticker for National Sticker Day on January 13.
Put de-cluttering on your list of New Year’s Resolutions just in time for Organize Your Home Day on January 14.
Start spinning some records in honor of National Disc Jockey Day on January 20.
Get our your pen and put it to paper. It’s National Handwriting Day on January 23.
Tell your special person how much you love them on National Spouses Day – January 26.
January 29 is National Puzzle Day. Whether you prefer Sudoku, crossword puzzles, jigsaw puzzles or word games like Scrabble, today is the day to celebrate them!
The first Sunday in February is celebrated as Super Bowl Sunday. Find out all about the big game and get some recipes to serve, too.
If you are nursing a headache the day after Super Bowl Sunday, you’ll love to find out about National Football Hangover Day.
Get Out Your Guitar Day is celebrated on February 11 each year. Are you a guitar player? You will love this day!
Galentine’s Day, celebrated on February 13 each year, is a great day to get together and honor your gal pals.
February 20 honors the bookcase in an organized way. It’s National Clean out Your Bookcase Day. Does yours need a good organization? Find out some tips and tricks.
March 2 is National Old Stuff Day. What old items can you get rid of in your life?
Forget about mobile phones for one day! March 10 is National Landline Telephone day.
Pucker up! It’a National Kiss Your Fiancé Day on March 20.
March 22 is the day to forget about responsibilities and duties. It’s National Goof Off Day!
Put a smile on your face on March 27 by celebrating Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day.
One of America’s favorite games gets to be honored on National Scrabble Day.
Brush up on you knowledge of the leader in the fast food industry for McDonalds Day.
April 19 is the day to turn off your drier and take your clothes outside. It’s National Hanging Out Day!
Step into another dimension on May 11 to honor National Twilight Zone Day.
You won’t believe the changes everyone’s favorite spud has gone through. Find out on National Mr. Potato Head Day – April 30.
Time to step away from the keyboard and grab a writing utensil. June 10 is National Ballpoint Pen Day!
Grab some bait and a fishing pole, June 18 is National Go Fishing Day.
Find out about the lazy, lasagna loving cat on National Garfield the Cat Day – June 19.
Get some history on the development of the color television for National Color TV day – June 25.
Remember making old movies with VHS tapes? Discover more about National VCR day, celebrated on June 7.
August 6 is celebrated each year as National Gossip Day. Do you gossip? Should you gossip? Find out what we think on Always the Holidays.
National Days about Fashion and Clothing
Every part of our society and lifestyle seems to have a national day devoted to it – even clothing and fashion. Brush up on your knowledge with these posts:
Is your spring weather still cold? It’s time for National Earmuff Day on March 13.
If you wear blue jeans, you’ll want to learn about National Zipper Day on April 29.
Find out about the turning of the tassel for National Graduation Tassel Day on May 17.
National Days About Gardening
Looking for a peaceful way to relax in nature. National Garden Meditation Day is the perfect day to do this. Find out the history of this day and get some tips for creating a meditation garden.
Flower lovers around the country will be delighted to learn about National Orchid Day. Find out all about this flower and check out an orchid picture gallery, too.
What do carnations and US presidents have in common? Read our post on National Carnation Day to learn the answer, plus more carnation facts!
When it’s almost spring, it’s a good time to celebrate National Johnny Appleseed Day. Find out about the man who spread the Apple Tree across our country.
Need More Inspiration?
If you enjoy reading and celebrating all the national days as much as I do, and want some more some inspiration, be sure to check out my National Days board on Pinterest. It has loads of pins for articles about the topic.
Monthly Calendars of National Days
I’m currently putting together a calendar for each month of the year as a place to learn about all the national days of the year. Check out these pages for the calendars that I have finished.
- National Days of January – Get the monthly list here to start the year off right
- National Days in February – See why It’s not just Valentine’s Day this month!
- March National Days – Find out about St. Patrick’s Day, Puppy Day and so much more.
- List of National Days in April – National garden month, Zoo Lovers Day, Earth Day are all great reasons to celebrate.
- Calendar of National Days of May – Mother’s Day, Memorial Day and many more memorable days.
- National Days of June – Father’s Day, Flip Flop Day and the Great Outdoors!
- National Days of July – Independence Day – Hot Dogs – Barbecues and More!
- National Days in August – End of Summer, Chocolate Chip cookie Day and National Oyster Day this month.
- National Days in September – Celebrate Labor Day, Teddy
Bear Day and so many food holidays this month!
- List of National Days in October – Halloween, black cats, pumpkin carving and caramel apples.
- November National Days – Thanksgiving, Cookie Monster, Peanut Butter Fudge, Pumpkin pie and more.
- National Days of December – Christmas, Holidays and Entertaining in Style
I am working on the other months of the year and they will be ready soon. Be sure to check back soon for updates.
Just for the foodies!
If you are a foodie, I have some special National Day Calendars just for you.
Each month has its own list of Foodie National days and each month celebrates different food holidays. Here are some other foodie National Day Calendars that feature only food holidays to honor with your favorite recipes:
- January Food Holidays
- February Holidays for Foodies
- March National Food Days
- List of Food Days in April
- May National Food Holidays.
- List of Food Holidays in June
- Calendar of National Food Days in July
- August National Food Days
More to come later!
Monthly Printable Calendars
If you would like a printable calendar of National days for the month, you can find them here:
- January National Day Calendar
- February National Day Calendar
- March National Day Calendar
- April National Day Calendar
- May National Day Calendar
- June National Day Calendar
- July National Day Calendar
- August National Day Calendar
- September National Day Calendar
- October National Day Calendar
- November National Day Calendar
More to come Soon!
There are almost 2000 national days and holidays. Don’t miss a single on of them. Sign up for my newsletter to get information on all these special days delivered right to your inbox.
You will receive a confirmation email that can take several minutes to arrive. Once you confirm this, you will be all set up to receive the newsletter. Don’t worry, your email address is safe. I will only use it to send out the newsletter and will not share it with anyone. You can opt out at any time by clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom of any email.