This page for the national days of January gives a quick look at the month to find out what food, drink or topic the month celebrates.
Every day of the month is like a new chapter in a book that you haven’t read before. Use this handy list to help plan for the month ahead for your favorite national day.
For many of us, January is a month where a blanket of snow covers the landscape. This makes it a time for outdoor cold weather activities, as well as having fun with family indoors, too.
Keep reading to learn more about the first month of the year and find ways to celebrate the special January holidays.
The national days during the month of January are geared to comfort food, organizations, resolutions and so many more activities.
The birthstone of January is the garnet, birth flowers are carnations and snowdrops, and the zodiac sign is Capricorn up to January 19 and Aquarius beyond that date.
Let’s celebrate the national days in January
January 1, New Year’s Day, is the most celebrated holiday around the world.
It is fitting that this word forms the base of the name of the month, since so many people have a restart of not only their calendar year, but also of their life, with New Year’s resolutions.
Julius Caesar gave the month 31 days, but the month originally had only 29 days in the 8th century as part of the lunar calendar.
Historically notable days in July
Historically, the month of January has many days of prominence. Check out these events from days long gone by.
- January 1, 1776 – George Washington unveiled the Grand Union Flag.
- January 1, 1863 – Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation which freed the enslaved people in the states that were rebelling against the Union.
- January 1, 1959 – Fidel Castro seized power in Cuba and established a Communist dictatorship there.
- January 3, 1959 – Alaska was admitted as the 49th State of the United States.
- January 6, 1412 – Joan of Arc was born in France.
- January 8, 1987 – The Dow Jones industrial average topped the 2,000 mark for the first time.
- January 11, 1964 – The US Surgeon General declared that cigarettes may be hazardous to health.
- January 13, 1990 – Douglas Wilder became the first African American governor in the United States, in Richmond, Virginia.
- January 19, 1966 – Indira Gandhi was elected prime minister of India.
- January 20, 1945 – Franklin Delano Roosevelt was inaugurated to an unprecedented fourth term as president of the United States.
- January 23, 1849 – Elizabeth Blackwell became America’s first woman doctor by receiving an MD from the Medical Institute of Geneva, New York.
- January 24, 1848 – The California gold rush began.
- January 28, 1935 – Iceland became the first country to legalize abortion.
January national monthly observances
January has many monthly observances including National Glaucoma Awareness Month. It’s also National Blood Donor Month, National Oatmeal Month and National Soup Month.
Look at all the holidays in January that have their own monthly observances. The month also celebrates these happenings too!
- National Hobby Month
- National Hot Tea Month
- National CBD Month
- National Bath Safety Month
- National Black Diamond Month
- National Slow Cooking Month
- National Soup Month
- National Braille Literacy Month
- National Mentoring Month
- National Menudo Month
- National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
- National Sunday Supper Month
The list below breaks down the national events of January, day by day. Some of the days are links to pages on this site where you can find more information about that fun national day.
We update this page often with new links and fun facts about your favorite national days, so be sure to check back to see what is new.
There is a lot to celebrate in the month of January!
From National Hangover Day on January 1 to recover from the party of the night before, to Inspire Your Heart With Art Day on the 31, the month of January is filled with fun opportunities to honor the days celebrated in January.
If you are mainly a foodie, be sure to check out the January food days to get lots of ideas for recipes you can make this month.
There are dozens of foodie national days this month, too!
List of January national days
Grab a cup of hot tea (also a day this month) and enjoy this list of January holidays to celebrate.
- New Year’s Day
- National Bloody Mary Day
- National First Foot Day
- National Hangover Day
- Polar Bear Swim Day
- Black Eyed Pea Day
- Apple Gifting Day
- Commitment Day
- Copyright Law Day
- Ellis Island Day
- Public Domain Day
- World Day of Peace
- National Buffet Day
- National Cream Puff Day
- National Personal Trainer Day
- National Science Fiction Day
- Run it up the Flagpole Day
- 55 Mile Per Hour Speed Limit Day
- Happy Mew Year For Cats Day
- National Motivation and Inspiration Day
- Swiss Cheese Day
- World Introvert Day
- National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day
- National Drinking Straw Day
- National Fruitcake Toss Day (sometimes listed as the 1st Saturday in December)
- National Write to Congress Day
- Festival of Sleep Day
- Humiliation Day
- J.R.R Tolkien Day
- Women Rock! Day
- National Missouri Day
- National Spaghetti Day
- National Trivia Day
- Pop Music Chart Day
- World Hypnotism Day
- Dimpled Chad Day
- Free Flower Basket Day
- Tom Thumb Day
- National Bird Day
- National Screenwriter’s Day
- National Whipped Cream Day
- National Keto Day
- National Bean Day
- National Cuddle Up Day
- National Technology
- National Shortbread Day
- National Take Down the Christmas Tree Day
- Apple Tree Day
- World Day for War Orphans
- National Bobblehead Day
- National Tempura Day
- Old Rock Day
- Harlem Globetrotters Day
- Pass Gas Day (!!!)
- I’m Not Going to Take it Anymore Day
- International Programmers Day
- National Bubble Bath Day
- National Winter Skin Relief Day
- National English Toffee Day
- National Argyle Day
- National Joy Germ
- Earth’s Rotation Day
- National Male Watchers Day
- Show and Tell at Work Day
- National Apricot Day
- National Static Electricity Day
- National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day
- National Word Nerd Day
- Balloon Ascension day
- International Choreographers Day
- National Bittersweet Chocolate Day
- National Oysters Rockefeller Day
- National Save the Eagles Day
- National Cut Your Energy Costs Day
- Houseplant Appreciation Day
- Peculiar People Day
- National Human Trafficking Awareness Day
- National Milk Day
- National Arkansas Day
- National Step in the Puddle and Splash your Friends Day
- National Hot Toddy Day
- Learn Your Name in Morse Code Day
- Secret Pal Day
- National Curried Chicken Day
- National Kiss a Ginger Day
- National Marzipan Day
- National Pharmacist Day
- National Hot Tea Day
- Glazed Doughnut Day
- Work Harder Day
- Stick to your New Year’s Resolution Day
- National Sticker Day
- National Rubber Ducky Day
- National Peach Melba Day
- National Stephen Foster Memorial Day
- Korean American Day
- Gluten Free Day
- Public Radio Broadcasting Day
- Make Your Dream Come True Day
- National Dress up your Pet Day
- National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day
- Ratification Day
- International Kite Day
- Caesarean Section Day
- Organize Your Home Day
- National Hat Day
- National Strawberry Ice Cream Day
- National Booch Day
- National Bagel Day
- Fresh Squeezed Juice Day
- Wikipedia Day
- Humanitarian Day
- Rid the World of Fad Diets and Gimmicks Day
Share the list of these national days on Twitter with this tweet about New Year’s resolutions:No one's ever achieved financial fitness with a January resolution that's abandoned in February - Suze Orman. Click To Tweet
Additional national days of January that change each year
Some special days in January don’t have an exact date that they fall on in any given year. These days depend on the calendar for the current year.
First half of January
- National Thank God It’s Monday – (1st Monday)
- National Weigh In Day – (1st Monday)
- National Clean off your Desk Day (2nd Monday)
- Shop for Travel Day – ( 2nd Tuesday)
- National Poetry at Work Day – (2nd Tuesday)
- Healthy Weight, Healthy Look Day – (2nd Thursday)
- Sunday Supper Day (2nd Sunday)
- National Vision Board Day – (2nd Saturday)
Don’t stop here though, there are more January special days in the second half of the month that change from year to year.
National days of January – second half of the month
- Chinese New Year – Changes each year, and is determined by the lunar calendar. The holiday falls on the second new moon after the winter solstice on December 21. This is January 22 in 2023 and features the Year of the Rabbit; learn more about The Year of the Rabbit Traits – Rabbit Chinese Zodiac.
- World Snow Day – (3rd Sunday)
- Elementary School Teachers Day – (3rd Monday)
- Martin Luther King Day (3rd Monday)
- Get to Know your Customers Day – (3rd Thursday of each quarter)
- Library Shelfie Day – (4th Wednesday)
- Clashing Clothes Day (4th Thursday)
- Women’s Healthy Weight Day (Thursday of the third full week in January)
- National Seed Swap Day – (last Saturday)
- Local Quilt Shop Day – (4th Saturday)
- Child Labor Day – (4th Sunday)
- World Leprosy Day – (Sunday closest to January 30)
- Community Manager Appreciation Day – (4th Monday)
- Better Business Communication Day – (4th Monday)
- Speak up and Succeed Day – (4th Tuesday)
- National Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day – (Last Monday)
- National Plan for Vacation Day – (last Tuesday)
- National Big Wig Day – (last Friday)
- National Fun at Work Day – (last Friday)
By this time many of the New Year’s resolutions that we try to achieve in January may be forgotten. But don’t forget that we are only half way through! There a still so many- more fun national days to celebrate ahead. Check out these special days.
- National Fig Newton Day
- National Without a Scalpel Day
- National Nothing Day
- National Good Teen Day
- National Religious Freedom Day
- International Hot and Spicy Food Day
- Appreciate a Dragon Day
- Book Publishers Day
- Prohibition Remembrance Day
- Psychiatric Technicians Day
- National Bootlegger’s Day
- National Hot Buttered Rum Day
- Ben Franklin Day
- Ditch New Year’s Resolutions Day
- Judgement Day
- Cable Car Day
- Kid Inventors’ Day
- Hot Heads Chili Day
- National Winnie The Pooh Day
- National Thesaurus Day
- National Peking Duck Day
- National Michigan Day
- National Gourmet Coffee Day
- Maintenance Day
- World Snowman Day
- National Popcorn Day
- National Quark Day
- National Gun Appreciation Day
- Tin Can Day
- Brew a Potion Day
- New Friends Day (Also July 19 and October 19)
- Artist as Outlaw Day
- Good Memory Day
- World Religion Day
- National Buttercrunch Day
- National Cheese Lover’s Day
- National Disc Jockey Day
- Penguin Awareness Day
- Take a Walk Outdoors Day
- Camcorder Day
- International Day of Acceptance
More national days of January
The month of January is almost over, but don’t stop the celebrating yet. There are many fun days to come.
- National Granola Bar Day
- National Hugging Day
- National Squirrel Appreciation Day
- New England Clam Chowder Day
- International Sweatpants Day
- One Liners Day
- Own Your Own Home Day
- National Blondie Brownie Day
- National Hot Sauce Day
- National Polka Dot Day
- Southern Food Day
- Celebration of Life Day
- Answer Your Cat’s Questions Day
- Come in from the Cold Day
- Dance of the Seven Veils Day
- Roe vs Wade Day
- National Handwriting Day
- National Pie Day
- Measure your Feet Day
- National Rhubarb Pie Day
- National Peanut Butter Day
- National Compliment Day
- Beer Can Appreciation Day
- National “Just do it” Day
- Belly Laugh Day
- National Eskimo Pie Patent Day
- National Lobster Thermidor Day
- National Florida Day
- National Opposite Day
- National Irish Coffee Day
- A Room of One’s Own Day
- Fluoride Day
- McIntosh Computer Day
- National Peanut Brittle Day
- National Green Juice Day
- National Spouses Day
- Australia Day
- International Customs Day
- National Chocolate Cake Day
- Punch The Clock Day
- National Geographic Day
- Vietnam Peace Day
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- International Port Wine Day
- National Blueberry Pancake Day
- Data privacy Day
- National Kazoo Day
- National Have Fun at Work Day
- Pop Art Day
- Daisy Day
- Rattlesnake Roundup Day
- National Corn Chip Day
- National Puzzle Day
- Freethinkers Day
- National Carnation Day
- Curmudgeons Day
- Seeing Eye Dog Day
- National Croissant Day
- National Escape Day
- Inane Answering Message Day
- School Day of Non Violence and Peace
- Yodel for Your Neighbors Day
- National Backwards Day
- National Inspire your heart with Art Day
- National Hot Chocolate Day
- Brandy Alexander Day
- Eat Brussels Sprouts Day
- Scotch Tape Day
- Hell is Freezing Over Day
- Hug an Economist Day
- Appreciate Your Social Security Check Day
As you can see, no matter your interests, there is a national day for you to give some special love.
We hope you have enjoyed this list of national January holidays. Why not share them with your friends on Twitter with this tweet?Celebrate all the January national days every day of the month at Always the Holidays. Click To Tweet
Just for the foodies – national days for January food list!
If you are a foodie, we have some special national day lists just for you.
Each month has its own list of foodie national days and each month celebrates different food holidays.
Here are some other foodie national day pages that feature only food holidays to honor with your favorite recipes:
- January food holidays
- February holidays for foodies
- March national food days
- List of food days in April
- May national food holidays
- List of food days in June
- What are the food days in July?
- August national food days
- September food days
- October food holidays
- Food holidays in November
- December food holidays
National days word search printables
Are word puzzles your thing? If they are be sure to check out our monthly printables. Each puzzles features some of the national days for you to search and find.
The printables are great for anyone who needs me-time. The kids will enjoy them too.
For all my national days printables and puzzles check out these pages:
- January word search printable
- February word search printable
- March word search printable
- April word search printable
- May word search printable
- June word search printable
- July word search printable
- August word search printable
- September word search puzzle
- October word search printable
- November word search printable
- December word search printable
New puzzles to come soon!
Monthly national day lists
There are over 2000 national days in the year and each month has over 150 special days to celebrate. Get all the monthly lists here:
- National days of January – this month
- National days in February
- March national days
- List of national days in April
- Breakdown of national days in May
- National days of June
- National days of July
- National days in August
- National days in September
- List of national days in October
- November national days
- National days of December
Pin this list of the national days of January for later
Would you like a reminder of this list of January national holidays to celebrate? Just pin this image to one of your entertaining boards so that you can easily find it later.
You can also watch our video for the national days for January on YouTube.
Do you celebrate national days? Which day in January is your favorite day to honor?
- Card stock or glossy photo paper
- computer printer
- Load your heavy cardstock or glossy photo paper into your computer printer.
- Choose portrait layout and "fit to page" in your settings if possible.
- Print the planner and fill in your favorite national days.
- Start planning!
- Using this print function on this card will print a calendar that fills about 1/2 - 3/4 of an 8 x 11 sheet of paper.
- To fill the entire page, choose 125% or "fit to page" on your printer if you have this setting,