This list of May food holidays gives us so many recipes to share. From brunch for Mom on Mother’s Day, spicy delights for Cinco de Mayo and BBQ makings to share with friends and family for Memorial Day, the month is overload for foodies.
Every day of the month has at least one food or drink associated with it which makes it easy to celebrate.
Unsure about what national days are? Check out my national days guide for more information.
Keep reading to learn more about these special food and drink days in May.
All national days are fun to celebrate, no matter the reason. But add in some mention of foods and everyone gets excited.
These food days are a great way to tie food and celebrations together. Nothing quite says BBQ side dish like some buttermilk biscuits for Memorial day, does it?
If you are a foodie, you are probably aware just how many days of the year are devoted to celebrating a favorite food. You will probably find that you are scouring the internet to find out what food today will celebrate.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
May food monthly observances
May is right in the middle of spring for many of us, so it makes sense that the foods honored this month are geared for outdoor parties, weekend picnics and BBQs.
It is not just days of the month that are associated with food. Sometimes the whole month is known for a certain type of food. For May we observe these foods:
- National Asparagus Month – It tastes best roasted and wrapped in bacon!
- National Barbecue Month – This month marks the beginning of several months of outdoor grilling.
- National Chocolate Custard Month – Easy and creamy but light enough for spring!
- National Egg Month – What is better than a big plate of deviled eggs for your next outdoor party?
- National Hamburger Month – How many ways can you grill a burger?
- National Mediterranean Diet Month – Clean eating and healthy living at its best.
- National Salad Month – Get some new recipes to take to your next BBQ.
- National Salsa Month – On Cinco de Mayo and every day, Americans love salsa.
- National Strawberry Month – Strawberry shortcake anyone?
- National Beef Month – Burgers, Spare Ribs, Roasts and more. All go great on the grill.
- National Loaded Potato Month – Bake them twice to make them even better!
Share this post about the May food holidays on Twitter
If you enjoyed this list of May food days, be sure to share them with a friend. Here is a tweet to get you started:May is National Strawberrry Month. Let's go Strawberry picking!! #nationalstrawberrymonth #freshstrawberries 🍓🍓 Click To Tweet
What are national food days?
Do you like those diet cookbooks where there isn’t anything to decide, but the author tells you what to eat on each day of the month? National days are a bit like this.
Food days are the internet’s way of telling you what you could cook that day based on what the national day of the month it is.
Check out the national day list for May and look through the list. See how many of them are devoted to food? I’m going to make it even easier for you.
Just browse this list. Every day is associated with food or drink in some way. With this list you can’t go wrong with your party planning.
List of May national food days
Even though outdoor living and BBQs are on our mind in May, the month is also filled with some decadent foods, as well. Here is a list of all the May food holidays to look forward to.
Most are labeled national days (or international days) and others are just labeled by the food itself.
I have also given you lots of ideas for recipes and other ways to celebrate these foodie national days. Have fun!
May food days
Below is a list of the national food days in May. On some of the days, there are recipes to help you celebrate, and on other days, there are links to products on Amazon that will help you get the most out of the national day.
(I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links but there is no extra cost to you.)
- National Chocolate Parfait Day – Try this apple crumble parfait on for size!
- National Truffle Day – These Butterfinger truffles are the perfect way to celebrate
- National Raspberry Tart Day – Want something easy for dessert tonight? These raspberry tarts are ready in just minutes.
- National Chocolate Custard Day – This creamy dark chocolate custard is perfect for any chocoholic
- National Raspberry Popover Day – Try these delicious raspberry popovers to brighten up any brunch or dessert.
- National Candied Orange Peel Day – Buy a bag of this sweet treat to snack on or to use in recipes.
- National Orange Juice Day – The Orange Cherry Mocktail will make the kids feel all grown up.
- National Hoagie Day – Use a special sauce to make your next Hoagie sandwich.
- National Enchilada Day – Make these chicken enchiladas with a spicy taco cream sauce.
- Totally Chipotle Day – Get the most out of your next Grill time with some chipotle rub.
- Cinco de Mayo – A day to enjoy all sorts of Mexican foods to celebrate.
- National Beverage Day – Find out about the history of many beverages and get some recipes to celebrate the day.
- National Crepe Suzette Day – Try your hand at making Crepe Suzettes with this delicious recipe.
- International No Diet Day – Did you say NO DIET? Well heck yes! Splurge with these raspberry cheesecake truffles!
- National Roast Leg of Lamb Day – My husband will be first in line with this recipe for Grilled Leg of Lamb with mint sauce.
- National Cosmopolitan Day – Find out more about this May drink day. This very pink raspberry cosmopolitan with a bright and sweet sugar rim is the perfect way to celebrate the day.
- National Coconut Cream Pie Day – Indulge your sweet tooth with a tasty recipe and lots of other ideas for celebrating.
- National Have a Coke Day – Grab a glass of America’s favorite beverage to celebrate.
- National Moscato Day – This cherry Moscato slush is perfect for the summer heat.
- National Foodies Day – I also have a food site with tons of recipes that Foodies will love.
- National Butterscotch Brownie Day – Just like a brownie but blonde! Find about more about butterscotch brownies and get a recipe to try.
- National Shrimp Day – There are dozens of shrimp recipes for you to choose from here.
- National Liver and Onions Day – Wine and caramelized onions takes this recipe for liver and onions to a whole new level.
- Eat What You Want Day – No diet day AND eat what you want day? What a month! Try one of these blueberry recipes on for size.
- Hostess Cupcake Day – Can’t decide which one to choose? Try a variety pack of Twinkies and Hostess Cupcakes.
- National Nutty Fudge Day – Here are some fun facts and lots of fudge recipes for you to sample.
- Brunch for Lunch Day – This crustless egg white quiche is breakfast, brunch or lunch in one recipe.
- National Apple Pie Day – Try this Dutch apple raisin strudel pie.
- National Crouton Day – How about some Texas Toast croutons on your next salad?
- National Fruit Cocktail Day – Why not try using fruit cocktail in a cheesecake for a luscious dessert recipe?
- International Hummus Day – This roasted red pepper and pine nut hummus is amazing.
- World Cocktail Day – Check out our selection of cocktails to find a drink to celebrate.
- National Buttermilk Biscuit Day – A southern staple at all parties and gatherings. Find out more about the day and get a tasty recipe to try.
- National Chocolate Chip Day – You’ll never guess what we did with chocolate chips for this fun kid’s recipe.
Food days of May with variable dates
Some food holiday don’t have a specific date to honor. They fall of a day of the week instead. The variable date food days this month are:
- Lemonade Day – (First Sunday in May) – Check out these recipes using lemonade.
- National Home brew Day – (First Saturday in May) – Try your hand at making your own brew with this kit.
- National Pizza Party Day – (Third Friday in May) – This chicken bacon Alfredo pizza makes a nice change from the traditional pizza.
- Memorial Day – (Last Monday in May) – Celebrate the day by having a big barbecue with friends.
More national Food days to celebrate
We are halfway through the month and look at all the national food holidays we have covered already! There is so much more to come, too!
Perhaps one of these national days in the next two weeks will be right up your alley.
- National Coquilles Saint Jacques Day – This delicious recipe has been made gluten free.
- National Barbecue Day – These 25 tips for a great BBQ will make sure your next outdoor party is a great success.
- National Mimosa Day – Get some fun facts and mimosa recipes with a twist.
- National Cherry Cobblers Day – This cherry cobbler recipe is wicked easy to prepare.
- National Walnut Day – Walnuts are one of the stars in this delicious citrus chicken salad.
- Hummus Day – Hummus is super easy to make. Try this roasted red pepper and pine nut recipe.
- I love Reese’s Day – This Reese’s Peanut Butter cup frosting has a big dose of your favorite candy bar.
- National Cheese Soufflé Day – This egg and cheese soufflé makes a quick and easy breakfast.
- National Devil’s Food Cake Day – The ganache frosting on this tasty recipe is to die for!
- World Whiskey Day – Get out the grill. These sirloin steaks have an Irish Whiskey sauce.
- National Pick Strawberries Day – Find out how to grow strawberries in this post.
- National Quiche Lorraine Day – This tasty quiche Lorraine has all the flavors of the traditional recipe but no crust!
- National Strawberries and Cream Day – Homemade strawberries and cream shortcake. What could be better for summer?
- National Vanilla Pudding Day – No oil and gluten free, this Vegan Vanilla pudding is super healthy.
May food days for the last week of the month
There is just one week left. Which food day is your favorite?
- National Taffy Day – Make your own saltwater taffy in just one hour!
- National Escargot Day – These escargot stuffed mushrooms make a great party appetizer.
- Asparagus Day – Wrap it in bacon and roast in the oven for a fabulous appetizer or side dish.
- National Wine Day – This slow cooker spiced wine with oranges and cranberries is perfect for any party.
- National Brown Bag it Day – One of these 11 chicken brown bag lunches should do the trick.
- National Blueberry Cheesecake Day – Summer is the time for this delicious blueberry cheesecake dessert.
- National Cherry Dessert Day – Try this lightened up chocolate cherry cheesecake for dessert tonight.
- National Grape Popsicle Day – These summertime popsicles are made from Greek yogurt and grapes.
- National Italian Beef Day – This cheese potato and Italian sausage casserole is the perfect side dish for Memorial Day.
- National Brisket Day – Why not try this instant pot braised brisket recipe?
- International Hamburger Day – Throw this Mex-Italian hamburger on the grill this weekend.
- National Coq au Vin Day – Don’t heat up the kitchen. Try this crock pot coq au vin.
- National Biscuit Day – These sweet biscuits are perfect for strawberry shortcake.
- National Mint Julep Day – Just in time for summer – get some fun facts and find out about the history of mint julep day, as well as a recipe or two for Mint Juleps.
- National Macaroon Day – This easy recipe for chocolate cherry macaroons is low calorie to fit your diet plan.
It is not just food that has a national day celebrated with it during May. All sorts of topics get made into national days. Check out my list of national days of May for the complete list of days to celebrate.
If you enjoy puzzles, be sure to also check out the May word search printable. It features some of the May food days to find.
More national food lists
Each month has its own list of foodie national days. Here are some other national day food lists.
- January food holidays
- February food celebrations
- March food holidays
- List of food days in April
- May national food holidays – This page!
- List of food days in June
- List of food days in July
- August national food days
- National food days for September
- October food holidays
- December food holidays
The November food day list will be ready soon!
Pin this post for the May food holidays
Would you like a reminder of this post for the food days in May? Just pin this image to one of your food boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
You can also watch our May food days video on YouTube.
May Food Holidays Menu Planner Printable
Print out this planner to accompany the May food holidays, and fill in with your favorite national food days for the month. It's a great way to keep track and plan your meals for the whole month of May.
- Heavy cardstock or printer paper
- Computer printer
- Load your heavy card stock or glossy photo paper into your Deskjet printer.
- Choose portrait layout and if possible "fit to page" in your settings.
- Print out and use the to do list to plan your menus for the month.