This list of Food Days in January starts our year out in a tasty way. Almost every day of the month has a food or drink associated with it which makes it very easy to have fun with friends. We are starting a whole new year, which gives us over 365 food days to celebrate.
There are so many special days to celebrate with food in the month of January. From recovering after a hangover with National Bloody Mary Day on January 1, to enjoying a cup of cocoa on National Hot Chocolate day on January 31, the month is full of special days about food and drink.
If you are a foodie, you may find your self asking the question “Today is national what food day?” And you will also find that you’ll be on the lookout for a special day to feature for one of your recipes or entertaining events. National Days are the perfect way to tie food and celebrations together. Nothing quite says winter like fun snowman cake pops for World of the Snowman day, does it?
We can prepare recipes to tie in with any national day, but when the day is a foodie day, it makes it all the easier! What are National Days, you might ask? Be sure to check out my National Days Guide for lots of information about how these fun days get started.
What are National Food Days?
Think of those magazines and cookbooks where on each day of the month, the author tells you what you’ll be cooking that day. (Diet cookbooks often do this to take the choice out of planning.) National Food Days are the online’s way of telling you what you could cook that day based on what the national day of the month is.
It is rare to have a calendar for any given month and NOT have a national day that features food or drink in some way connected to it. Just check out each of my National Day Monthly calendars, pick a day and plan your party. You can’t go wrong.
January Food Monthly Observances
January is a cold month for many of us, so it’s appropriate that the foods honored this month are sometimes quite warm and toasty. (Strawberry ice cream day is an odd exception!)
It is not just days of the month that are associated with food. Sometimes the whole month is known for a certain type of food. For January we observe these foods:January is National Hot Tea Month. Have a cuppa to celebrate! #nationalhotteamonth #drinktea ☕ Click To Tweet
- National Hot Tea Month – Have a cuppa!
- National Oatmeal Month – You can use oatmeal in lots of ways other than for breakfast.
- National Slow Cooking Month – Slow cooking food brings out its most tender flavor. Great for winter stews!
- National Soup Month – What is better than a big bowl of soup on a cold winter day?
- National Sunday Supper Month – Invite the relatives over for dinner on Sunday Nights this month!
- National Baking Month – Didn’t we bake enough last month?
- National Fat Free Living Month – Time to make some healthy resolutions
List of National Food Days in January
We often think of getting a refresh with New Year’s Resolutions in early January, but the month is also filled with some decadent foods, as well. Here is a list of all the January Food Holidays to look forward to. Most are labeled national days (or international days) and others are just labeled by the food itself.
I have also given you lots of ideas for recipes and other ways to celebrate these Foodie National Days. Have fun!
January Food Day Calendar
- National Bloody Mary Day – Try this Bloody Mary Recipe to celebrate.
- National Black Eyed Pea Day – Eating this on January 1 is supposed to bring good luck. Find out more about lucky foods here.
- National Buffet Day – Why not plan a Sunday Brunch Buffet?
- National Cream Puff Day – Find out more about this yummy pastry confection and get some recipes.
- Swiss Cheese Day – Check out this Swiss Cheese sandwich recipe for two.
- National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day – Find out how to make your own chocolate cherries here.
- National Fruitcake Toss Day (First Saturday of January) – Here is a fruit cake for you to eat, not toss!
- National Spaghetti Day – Learn how to make home made spaghetti and get some great spaghetti recipes.
- National Whipped Cream Day – This Orange Cream Martini has an amazing whipped cream topping.
- National Bean Day – Take a jar of this 7 bean mix and recipe as a housewarming gift.
- National Shortbread Day – Make your own Shortbread cookies.
- National Tempura Day – Check out these vegetable Tempura nests.
- National English Toffee Day – Use Heath candy in these delicious English Toffee Bars.
- National Apricot Day – Make some apricot jam with ginger and mint.
- National Bittersweet Chocolate Day – Rich, decadent and so tasty!
- National Oysters Rockefeller Day – Try this delicious oysters Rockefeller recipe to celebrate.
- National Milk Day – Learn how to make home made almond milk.
- National Hot Toddy Day – Try this clementine hot toddy for a change.
- National Curried Chicken Day – This tikka masala chicken curry is a good recipe to try.
- National Marzipan Day – Learn how to make marzipan carrots.
- National Glazed Doughnut Day – Check out this Krispy Kreme copycat glazed doughnut recipe.
- National Peach Melba Day – Spark your dessert table with this Peach Melba pavlova.
- National Gluten Free Day – Make sure you are on the right track with this list of gluten free replacements and substitutes.
- National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day – This pastrami sandwich recipe features coleslaw, Russian dressing and pastrami on rye bread.
- National Sunday Supper Day (2nd Sunday in January) – One of these delicious ham recipes would be perfect for Sunday Supper.
- National Strawberry Ice Cream Day – Get some tips for an ice cream party here.
- National Fresh Squeezed Juice Day – Use fresh squeezed grapefruit juice to make ice cubes for cocktails.
We are halfway through the month and look at all the national food holidays we have covered already! There is so much more to come, too! Perhaps one of these national days in the next two weeks will be right up your alley.
- National Fig Newton Day – Time for some home made Fig Newtons
- International Hot and Spicy Food Day – This steak fajita chili is perfect for the occasion.
- Rid the World of Fad Diets and Gimmicks Day – Start by practicing some healthy kitchen swaps.
- National Hot Buttered Rum Day – Learn how to make this tasty drink here.
- National Hot Heads Chili Day – Make this spicy chili in the crock pot.
- National Peking Duck Day – Make this fancy dish with a plum sauce.
- National Gourmet Coffee Day – Celebrate by making a Coffee Gift Basket for a friend.
- National Popcorn Day – Use popcorn to make a snack mix.
- National Buttercrunch Day – Celebrate with some tasty buttercrunch truffles.
- National Cheese Lover’s Day – Find out how to host a wine and cheese party.
- National Granola Bar Day – The chocolate nut granola bars are Paleo and gluten free.
- National New England Clam Chowder Day – This delicious homemade clam chowder is low carb and delicious.
- National Blonde Brownie Day – Find out the differences between blondies and brownies.
- National Southern Food Day – Take a trip to the south with this Crock pot Jambalaya.
- National Hot Sauce Day – Hot sauce makes these appetizers perfect for Game Day.
Just a week left. Which day will you celebrate?
- National Pie Day – A favorite of mine is my mother’s Butterscotch pie recipe.
- National Rhubarb Pie Day – Find out how to make the perfect Rhubarb Pie.
- National Peanut Butter Day – My favorite food day! Make these tasty peanut butter truffles
- National Lobster Thermidor Day – Having a special occasion? Try this lobster thermidor recipe.
- National Eskimo Pie Patent Day – You don’t need a patent for this homemade Eskimo pie recipe.
- National Irish Coffee Day – Here is how to make traditional Irish Coffee.
- Green Juice Day – Grow your own wheatgrass and combine it with juice in the morning to make a green juice smoothie.
- National Peanut Brittle Day – Make peanut brittle in the microwave at home.
- National Chocolate Cake Day – This chocolate cherry cake has a cheesecake center.
- National Blueberry Pancake Day – Get tips for making great pancakes here.
- National Corn Chip Day – Make your own homemade corn tortilla chips.
- National Croissant Day – Check out these easy almond croissants.
- National Hot Chocolate Day – Find out about 6 ways to use a hot chocolate mix.
- Eat Brussels Sprouts Day – Get some tips for growing Brussels sprouts here.
It is not just food that has a national day celebrated with it during January. All sorts of topics get made into National days. Check out my calendar of National Days of January for the complete list of days to celebrate.
Looking for More Inspiration? Be sure to check out my Pinterest National Days Board. It has loads of ideas for all national food days of the year.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."