These Valentine’s Day kiss cookies are the perfect way to say “I love you!” This sweet heart peppermint cookie recipe has a sugar cookie base that is topped with a peppermint candy kiss. They not only look great but taste amazing too.
Peppermint candy is often thought of as a Christmas sweet treat, but these candy kisses with a pink peppermint swirl is also a great way to make a delicious cookie for Valentine’s Day, (or Galentine’s Day) too.
If you like these white chocolate mint cookies, be sure to check out National Chocolate Mint Day. You’ll find lots of other recipes with this type of flavor.
Making these Valentine’s Day Kiss Cookies
The recipe is simple to do. The most important step is to make some space in your freezer that will fit the cookie sheet. Candy kisses and hot cookies don’t like each other much, so putting them in the freezer right after cooking helps in this regard.
Combine your wet ingredients in a stand mixer. Whisk the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add them to the mixing bowl to make a stiff batter.
The dough is shaped into small 1 inch balls and then rolled in granulated sugar.
Once cooked, a peppermint candy kiss is added to the cookie and the whole cookie sheet goes into the freezer to set. This is an important step. The candy kisses will melt if you put them on hot cookies, so placing the cookie sheet in the freezer helps to make sure this doesn’t happen!
Tasting a sweetheart peppermint cookie
These yummy Valentine’s day kiss cookies have a crispy texture. The surprise is the creamy taste of the chopped up candy kisses and the sweet finish of the whole candy kiss on the top. Place them in a box with hearts on it and they make a nice home made Valentine’s Day gift, too.
For more Valentine’s Day recipes, be sure to check out my Valentine’s Day board on Pinterest.
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 9 Candy Cane flavored Hershey’s Kisses (1/4 cup finely chopped )
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 18 Candy Cane Hershey Kisses
- Make some space in your freezer that will fit the cookie sheet. This is an important step. The candy kisses will melt if you put them on hot cookies, so placing the cookie sheet in the freezer helps to make sure this doesn't happen!
- Combine the powdered sugar, butter, peppermint, vanilla extract, and egg in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat the mixture at medium speed, scraping bowl often until the mixture is creamy (about 2-3 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry goods - flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add the dry mixture to your wet ingredients until well blended (1-2 minutes). The mixture will be dry and crumbly. Stir in the chopped candy cane kisses.
- Shape the dough into 1 inch balls; and then roll them in granulated sugar. Place about 1-inch apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies have set.
- Immediately after the cookies come out of the oven, press a Candy Cane Kiss in the center of each cookie and quickly put the whole cookie sheet in the freezer to set..
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 63mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 0gSugar: 24gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.