These Valentine’s Day heart shaped sugar cookies are the perfect way to treat your special love on this special day. They are the perfect way to celebrate with your gal pals on Galentine’s Day, too.
These heart shaped sugar cookies have two colors of dough and are easy to make. Just use a smaller cookie cutter and switch the middle of one to the outside of the other and then bake.
I love the pastel tone that the alternating dough takes on. They look lovely and are very festive because pink is one of the colors of Valentine’s Day.
What better way to show your love for someone special than by baking cookies for them for Valentine’s Day?
Why not serve these cookies with a love potion cocktail? That would be a double dose of love.
Valentine’s day is a special day to me. It was my mother’s birthday. This will be the second year when I won’t be able to help her celebrate it since she passed away.
My dad used to really spoil her and heart shaped anything was at the top of his list.
Heart shapes are representative of love, making it one of the main symbols of Valentine’s Day. Check out our guide on Valentine’s Day symbols to learn the others.
I love to make themed cookies for any holiday. They are fun to make and assemble and it always puts me in the holiday mood. For another delicious and romantic cookie, try these Valentine’s Day Kiss Cookies.
Treat your loved one to these Valentine’s Day heart shaped sugar cookies
When preparing the dough for these heart shaped sugar cookies, use red food coloring to color half of the dough. Make as many as you wish and refrigerate the dough to use later.
The dough keeps well for about a week if wrapped in plastic wrap and you can freeze it for about 3 months.
Perfect for when you want just a few special cookies. (Like tonight for my honey and me as a sweet treat after our dinner of cilantro lime grilled shrimp kebabs and rice!)
They can even be decorated with you loved one’s name for an extra special touch! Decorate with a sprinkle of sugar and serve with love and pride!
The taste is delicate and light, like any good sugar cookie is. The cookies are the perfect treat to take to your child’s school party, or for a holiday cookie swap.
And, of course, the way to treat your loved one to show you care.
Looking for another Valentine’s Day sweet treat? Try these Brazilian white chocolate truffles with heart shaped sprinkles. They are to die for! Or try some new Valentine cupcake decorations this year.
And if you are looking for a last minute Valentine’s day idea, check out our Valentine’s Day word puzzles, like this Valentine’s word search and Valentine’s word scramble.
Valentine's Day Heart Shaped Sugar Cookies
These heart shaped cookies in two colors are the perfect way to say I love you to someone special.
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg (I use free range eggs)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red food color
- Sugar, to sprinkle
- In a bowl of your stand mixer, beat the sugar with the butter, milk, vanilla extract and egg on medium speed until the mixture is well blended. Be sure to scrape the bowl occasionally.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Reduce the speed to low and mix in the flour mixture until well mixed, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Divide the dough in half. Take one half of dough and knead in red food color until the desired pink color is achieved. Cover the dough
- with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour for easier handling.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F. Work with 1/3 of white dough at a time; keep remaining dough refrigerated. On lightly floured work surface, roll out white dough with rolling pin to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter; place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with 1/3 of pink dough, keeping remaining pink dough refrigerated.
- Using a floured 1-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut center from each pink and white cookie. Remove the centers of the cookies; replace each center of cookie with cut out of the opposite colored dough. Sprinkle the cookies with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 5 -9 minutes or until edges are a light golden brown. Cool for 1 minute; then remove from cookie sheets.
**For a special touch, use purchased decorating icing to pipe the initials or name of your valentine sweetheart on individual cookies.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.