Time for a tater, sweet style! The first Monday in April is known as Sweet Potato Day. It’s also fondly referred to as National Tater Day.
This day is not the only day devoted to sweet potatoes in the national day calendar. February 22 is also celebrated as National Cook a Sweet Potato Day.
April is a month full of national days devoted to all sorts of food. Check out the full list of April national food days here.
Sweet potatoes are a star in the national days calendar. Not only is today celebrated in their honor, there is also a day called Cook a Sweet Potato Day on February 22.
Sweet potato awareness month is November and National Sweet Potato month is February.
Are sweet potatoes healthier than normal potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are a very versatile and popular vegetable. Many people use them as a substitute for normal potatoes.
While potatoes are lower in both fat and sugar, sweet potatoes have less calories and fewer carbohydrates. They also contain more Vitamin A and C. On the other hand, white potatoes contain more protein.
Sweet potatoes are a very rich source of fiber and included a load of minerals and vitamins, including iron, selenium and Vitamin B.
One of the best nutritional benefits of eating sweet potatoes is that they are high in beta carotene, an antioxidant that helps to protect the body against free radicals.
Sweet potatoes are also slightly lower on the glycemic index than normal potatoes, which is helpful if you are watching for blood sugar spikes.
Fun facts about sweet potatoes
If you love adding sweet potatoes to your diet, you may be interested in these fun facts.
- Sweet potatoes and yams are not the same vegetable. Yams are starchy edible roots that are orange in color. Sweet potatoes can vary from white to orange and even purple.
- It takes 90 to 120 days for a sweet potato to be ready for harvest after planting.
- Store your sweet potatoes in a cool and dry place. Avoid the fridge, or you’ll end up with a hard center and sour taste.
- The official vegetable of North Carolina is the sweet potato.
- Sweet potatoes can be stored for up to two weeks.
- George Washington grew sweet potatoes on his Mount Vernon, Virginia farm.
- The sweet potato is considered a super food.
For another Food holiday in April, be sure to check out National Cinnamon Crescent Day.
Ways to celebrate Sweet Potato Day
How will you celebrate Sweet Potato Day? Here are a few ideas.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtags #sweetpotatoday, #nationaltaterday and #taterday.
- Plant a sweet potato vine in your garden. It is super easy to grow and makes a great ground cover.
- Read Little Sweet Potato to your child. It’s a fun book about appreciating one’s self, bumps and all!
Recipes for Sweet Potato Day
Of course, the best way to celebrate Sweet Potato Day is with a great tasting recipe. Try one of these on for size.
Pin this post on Sweet Potato Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for Sweet Potato Day? Just pin this image to one of your boards on Pinterest.
There are close to 2000 National Days in a year. April has more than 150 alone. Check out the list of national days in April that we’ll be celebrating this month for more fun ideas.