Printable Recipe: Sweet Christmas Angel Cookie Recipe
These sweet angel cookies are as much fun to make as they are delicious and cute. The kids will really enjoy making them with you.
Sweet Christmas Angel Cookies
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp of finely shredded orange peel
- 1 tsp of orange juice
- 1⅓ cups of all purpose flour
- ⅓ tsp of baking soda
- 40 small twisted pretzels
- 20 round mint wafers in pastel colors (you can also use large gumdrops cut in half if you can't find the mint wafers
- For the frosting:
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tbsp milk.
- Preheat the oven to 325 ºF.
- Beat the butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds until it has softened. Add the sugar and continue beating until it is fluffy. Stir in the orange peel and orange juice.
- Switch the mixer to low and gradually add in the flour and baking soda. The mixture will resemble coarse crumbs.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth.
- On an ungreased cookie sheet place one tbsp of the dough and form it into a triangle. about 2½ inches long and 2 inches wide. Continue making other triangles until the dough is used up.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the edges are firm and lightly browned. Lift to a wire rack and cool.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. In a small mixing bowl beat the shortening and vanilla for about 30 seconds. Gradually add in one cup of the powdered sugar and 1 tbsp of milk. Continue to beat, gradually adding in extra powdered sugar to make about 1 cup of frosting.
- Add a bit of frosting to the top of the triangle and under the back "shoulders." Attach the wafer head and two pretzel wings. Pipe some frosting on to the body of the angel to make the dress.
- Allow to set. Makes 20 angels.