Two of my favorite treats are haystack cookies and Halloween candy pumpkins. These cute Pumpkin Haystack Cookies combine both flavors into one delicious recipe and will be the star of your Halloween party table.
My mom used to make these for us when we were children and it’s always a recipe that is nostalgic for me and makes me feel like a kid again. I’ve altered the recipe a bit to add some flaked coconut for extra crunch and some cute little pumpkins to make the scene more fall looking.
Who doesn’t love the sight of pumpkins sitting near hay bales? It brings memories of home and thoughts of the cooler weather to come. This cute cookie is a tasty version of this comforting autumn scene.
Pumpkin Haystack Cookies could not be easier to make
This recipe has been around for years but I seem to see it being served more in the fall for some reasons. I guess other people take the term haystack to heart, too!
All that you need are five ingredients, a few minutes and you are done. How easy is that? For today’s version we’ll be using butterscotch morsels, peanut butter, unsweetened flaked coconut, crispy chow mien noodles and some small candy pumpkins.
Start by putting the peanut butter and butterscotch morsels in the microwave and heating them in 30 second intervals until the mixture is smooth. It took me about 2 minutes in all. Be careful on the last heating. The mixture can harden up if heated too long.
Stir in the noodles and coconut and mix well so that the butterscotch mixture is well incorporated.
Making the Pumpkin Haystacks
I used a small cookie scoop to take just the right amount of batter and put it on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then I used my fingers to pull up the top of the cookie to make it more haystack looking in shape. As soon as I did this, I added the small pumpkins to make sure they would stick to the batter. Work quickly since the batter hardens before you know it. I found it easiest to make them one or two at a time, including the pumpkin.
TaDa! A whole sheet of Pumpkin Haystack Cookies in minutes! Into the fridge they go to harden.
What a great looking cookie to serve to your party guests!
These amazing little Halloween treats are sweet and crunchy with just a hint of peanut butter. They will be a hit at your Halloween party and the platter will be empty in a flash.
I love the crunch of these cookies. Who would have thought that something used in Chinese food could make such a delightful sweet treat?
The cookies look just like little haystacks. And the addition of the pumpkin will bring a delight to the faces of young and older guests.
I got 24 good sized haystacks out of the recipe, 167 calories each.
These cookies come together to quickly, you can easily make a batch of them when your family gets a yen for something to tempt their sweet tooth!
- 11 oz bag of butterscotch morsels
- ¾ cup of creamy peanut butter
- 2 5 oz cans of crunchy chow mien noodles
- 1 cup of flaked unsweetened coconut
- 24 small candy pumpkins
- In a large microwave safe bowl heat the butterscotch morsels and peanut butter in 30 second intervals until it is smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the Chow Mien noodles and flaked coconut being sure to incorporate the butterscotch mixture well.
- Use a small cookie scoop to drop scoops of the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. With your fingers, shape the mixture into haystack looking lumps and press 1 candy pumpkin to the side and pull the haystack mixture around it slightly to make it adhere.
- Place in the fridge until the haystacks are firm
- Store in and air tight container in the fridge.