June 7 is celebrated annually as National VCR Day. Do you still own a VCR recorder and tapes?
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and exciting foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
What is a VCR?
A video cassette recorder (VCR) is an electro-mechanical device that records both audio and video from your television to a magnetic tape videocassette – (VHS tape.)
Having the info on a tape means that you can play the movie or recording back at a more convenient time.
Fun Facts about a VCR
Brush up on your knowledge of video cassette recorders with these fun facts. Some may surprise you!
- There are over 10 billion videotapes in homes around the country that have our recorded moments on them.
- The first VCR was introduced to the public in 1956.
- American homes started using home VCRs in the 1970’s.
- Starting in the 1990’s, the DVD began replacing the VCR as a common way to watch movies in the home.
- In spite of copyright concerns, the Supreme Court ruled in 1984 that the home recording of television programs for later viewing constituted “fair use.”
How to Celebrate National VCR Day
Would you like to celebrate National VCR Day in a special way? Try one of these ideas.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtag #nationalvcrday.
- Pop an old VCR tape in your machine and enjoy a classic movie.
- Dig out your VCR tapes with your children’s memorable moments on them and play them for a bit of nostalgia.
- If you are feeling adventurous, try recording something from TV today to see the results in action.
More National Days in June
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in June. Be sure to check out this post to discover more about the National Days in June.
Also, check out these National Days that happen this month:
- National rotisserie chicken day on June 2
- National Corn on the Cob Day on June 11
- National Stewart’s Root Beer Day on June 17
- National Garfield the Cat Day
- National Go Fishing Day
And for another electronic day, check out National Color TV Day.
Pin this post for National VCR Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National VCR Day? Just pin this image to one of your trivia boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.