It seems that just about every food has a national day associated with it. Did you know that February 24 is considered National Tortilla Chip Day? These chips were first used as a way to turn misshapen tortillas into something usable instead of throwing them away. Let’s celebrate the day with some great recipes.
Tortilla chips are those crunchy and salty snacks that we use in all sorts of dips, salsas and, of course, guacamole. They are made from corn or flour tortillas, which have been cut into wedges and then fried or baked. The most common type is a yellow corn tortilla chip, but they can also be white, red or even blue.
I love to come up with ways to celebrate some of these National Days that pertain to food. Fortunately, for National Tortilla Day, there are dozens of ways to use tortilla chips in recipes.
8 Fun Facts about tortilla chips
Get the scoop about tortilla chips with these fun facts.
- We associate these crunchy chips with Mexico but they were first made here in the USA around the middle of the last century.
- The US is the main producer and consumer of tortilla chips.
- Rebecca Webb Carranza and her husband are credited with the beginning of this snack chip. Rebecca came up with the idea for tortilla chips to use up misshaped tortillas instead of discarding them.
- The first bag of tortilla chips sold for 10 cents!
- Texas made the tortilla chip the official state snack in 2003.
- Corn tortilla chips are naturally gluten free.
- Blue corn tortilla chips have less starch and more protein that white corn tortillas.
- Tortilla chips are reported to be Jennifer Aniston’s favorite snack.
- Tortilla chips are one of the most common snack items in Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisines.
Celebrate National Tortilla Chip Day with one of these Recipes
It is traditional to use tortilla chips for many fun party snacks. Nachos, and chips and dip are commonly seen, and what would salsa or guacamole be without this crunchy snack?
You can even think outside the box and use tortilla chips to as a coating for a different take on fried chicken. (These fun chicken nuggets are coated with both pecans and tortilla chips for a really tasty idea!)
There are literally dozens of tasty ways to celebrate national tortilla chip day.
Ideas for Celebrating National Tortilla Day
How do you celebrate this tasty national day? Here are some ideas:
- Make your own home made tortilla chips for a snack
- Have a salsa party with your friends.
- Invite friends over for a Southwestern style dinner
- Have a tasty movie night with homemade nachos
- Make up some tortilla chip gift bags with a recipe for your favorite spicy dip
- Have a “Make your own” Tortilla chip party. Provide the tortillas and some spices and let guests go wild.
- Have a tortilla chip party. You provide the chips and guests bring the dips.
- Use tortilla chips as a coating for your favorite fried chicken recipe.
Home Made Tortilla Chip Recipes
These recipes start with the tortilla chips. There are all types – fried, baked, low carb, gluten free and more!
Home made Tortilla Chips with Salsa (and some healthy options too)
These Fried Tortilla Chips with mango salsa taste amazing!
Looking for a Keto and Gluten Free option? Try these Low Carb Tortilla Chips
These Baked Flour Tortilla Chips are super easy to make.
Homemade corn tortilla chips (and Pico de Gallo!)
Baked Semi-Homemade Seasoned Tortilla Chips go great with lots of dips.
These Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips are a sweeter option for you to try.
For a Middle Eastern Flair, try these cumin dusted tortilla chips.
These homemade chipotle tortilla chips have a lovely spicy flavor.
Looking for a sugar free sweet option? Try these sugar-free baked cinnamon tortilla chips.
What to serve with Tortilla Chips
These dips, salsa and guacamole recipes are the perfect thing to dip those tortilla chips in. How to you like to scoop?
Dip some dark tortilla chips into my best ever guacamole dip.
This White Chili Queso Dip is perfect for Cinco de Mayo.
Always a party favorite, this hot artichoke dip holds up well for tortilla chips
Cinnamon tortilla chips are the perfect way to dip into this delicious fruit salsa.
This cilantro lime dip is fresh and tart and perfect to pair with tortilla chips.
Use blue corn chips to dip into this spicy chorizo con queso dip
Chili dusted tortilla chips are the perfect chip to try with this tequila shrimp ceviche recipe.
For a great party appetizer, pair this Mexican cheese ball with spicy tortilla chips.
End your party with something sweet. Try this peanut butter toffee cheesecake dip with coffee dusted tortilla chips.
Nacho recipes with tortilla chips?
National tortilla chip day is the perfect day for nachos. Combine your tortilla chips with toppings and serve them all in one pan. You guests will love these recipes!
Looking for a recipe with tortilla chips and toppings in one? Try these sheet pan lime chicken nachos
These BBQ chicken skillet nachos are easy to make and taste amazing!
Quick and easy! These cheesy beef nachos are made in the instant pot.
A sweet ending with these loaded funfetti dessert nachos is guaranteed.
If you have an outdoor gathering planned, serve the ultimate grilled BBQ chicken nachos.
These sheet pan steak salad nachos are perfect for a crowd.
Use your left overs to make these spicy pot roast nachos.
Your party guests will love these shredded beef nachos.
Feel like you are taking a trip to the islands with these tropical chicken nachos.
These oven baked spinach nachos are both sweet and spicy.
Whether you eat some of these homemade tortilla chips on their own as a movie snack, enjoying them all in one as nachos, or pairing them with something to dip, these recipes are sure to please. What is your favorite thing to dip tortilla chips into? How do you celebrate National Tortilla Chip Day?
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."