January 26 is celebrated each year as National Spouses Day. This is a day to remember why you chose your mate and to do things to make them feel special.
Even though National Marriage Day is celebrated in June, not all couples are married. Having a day devoted to spouses of all types gives every person a day to honor their choice of partner.
Life gets busy and we may not always take the time to show our spouse that we care deeply for them. Today is the day to show some extra love by treating your partner to a nice meal, enjoying the day doing something you both love and being sure to say “I love you.”
For those in the Military, there is also a Military Spouses Day – this holiday falls on the Friday before Mother’s Day.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
What is a spouse?
A spouse is a companion, your partner or your mate. In past history, the word spouse was used as a verb meaning “to marry.”
Now it is used as a noun that refers to either your husband or wife, or lifetime partner.
Some famous spouses
Throughout history, there have been famous spouses that have caught our attention. Some are lovable and some are notorious. All are remembered.
Brush up on your knowledge of couples with these famous spouses.
- Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick
- George Putnam and Amelia Earhart
- Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe
- Adam and Eve
- Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII
- Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman
- Cleopatra and Mark Anthony
- Bonnie and Clyde
- Grace Kelly and Prince Ranier III
- King Edward VII and Wallis Simpson
- Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn
How to observe National Spouses Day
Today is the day to do something special for your spouse. This doesn’t mean buying gifts. The purpose is to enjoy each other’s company.
- Invite your special someone out for a date night.
- Share some romantic love quotes with your partner.
- Make a special dinner and enjoy it with candles, just the way you used to do.
- Make heart shaped cupcakes for a special sweet treat.
- Drink Love Potion cocktails together.
- Have your morning coffee in matching buns and guns mugs.
- Cook dinner together wearing his and her aprons.
- Send a handwritten letter to someone you love. It’s a lost art!
- Use the hashtag #NationalSpousesDay to spread the word about the day on social media. Here is a tweet to get you started:
What are national days?
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my national day’s guide for more fun days to celebrate.
There are close to 2000 national days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in January. Be sure to check out this post to discover more about the national days in January, as well as the January printable calendar of national days.
Be sure to also check out these other national days this month:
National Spouses Day is a wonderful day to reconnect with your spouse and keep that spark alive in your relationship.
Studies have shown that couples who take time out of their schedule to spend it with their significant others on activities like date nights are more likely to stay together for the long run.
Pin this post for National Spouses Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Spouses Day? Just pin this image to one of your trivia boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.