April 13 is celebrated as National Scrabble Day. If you enjoy playing this popular game, you’ll be delighted to honor it today.
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate foods, animals and household items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
What is Scrabble?
Scrabble is a popular word game for 2-4 players. Each player scores points by placing tiles of a single letter onto a game board that is divided in a 15 x 15 grid of squares.
The tiles need to form words which intersect in crossword fashion as the game progresses. The words have to be found in a standard dictionary.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
Fun Facts about Scrabble
Brush up on your knowledge of Scrabble with these fun facts. Some may surprise you!
- The game Scrabble was invented in 1938 by Alfred Mosher Butts, an American architect.
- The original name for Scrabble was Lexico.
- There is a Braille version of Scrabble for blind players.
- The game of Scrabble is sold in 121 countries and it is available in 31 different languages.
- John Travolta, Carol Burnett, and Jimmy Kimmel all love to play Scrabble.
- If you lined up all the Scrabble tiles ever produced, they would make a line longer than 50,000 miles!
- The World Scrabble Championship has been an open event since 2014.
- It is possible to score 1782 points for the word oxyphenbutazone, placed strategically on the board.
How to Celebrate National Scrabble Day
Would you like to celebrate National Scrabble Day in a special way? Try one of these ideas.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtag #nationalscrabbleday
- Get your kids involved by playing Scrabble Junior with them.
- Improve your chances of scoring better with the Scrabble dictionary.
- Get in some wizardry with the Harry Potter Scrabble Game.
- Calling all gardeners! Enjoy both of your hobbies with Scrabble Gardening.
More National Days in April
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in April. Be sure to check out this post to discover more about the National Days in April.
Be sure to also check out these National Days this Month:
Pin this post for National Scrabble day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Scrabble Day? Just pin this image to one of your boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."