The first day of Spring is a time for new beginnings. How apt that this day is also recognized as National Proposal Day. And as if one day isn’t enough for all of those would be marriages, this national day is also celebrated on the first day of Fall!
For many Valentine’s day is a common day to propose to your loved one, but what better day to do the task than the first day of spring? If you plan to propose outside, spring is the perfect season of the year to get down on one knee.
The first day of spring is a time when day and night are equally as long as each other. This symbolizes two equal efforts and that is what any successful marriage should be.
If you just got engaged, you will also enjoy March 20. This is National Kiss Your Fiance Day.
How did National Proposal Day start?
Story has it that National proposal day was created by John Michael O’Loughlin. After he saw his cousin neglect to propose to his girlfriend after dating her for years, and decided to invent a day for proposing. He chose the first day of spring because of the equal equinox.
One might ask whether it was his place to force the issue with his cousin but the day does give others who might be on the fence a slight push in the right direction.
How to celebrate National Proposal Day
- The obvious comes to mind of course. Get a ring, get down on one knee and pop the question. Perhaps even come up with a message to your loved one on why you chose to propose on this particular day.
- Watch the movie The Proposal with your intended. This movie is a 2009 American romantic comedy starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds about a Canadian worried about deportment who convinces her assistant to act as her fiance. One can imagine the outcome, since this is a romantic comedy!
- Give a copy of How to Propose to Your Girlfriend to your favorite guy to nudge him in the right direction.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtag #nationalproposalday.
- Have a party with your married friends and let everyone share the story of their proposals.
- Check out Martha Stewart’s tips for what to say when proposing.
- Not quite ready to pop the question? Another way to celebrate the day is to go ring shopping. Perhaps you’ll be ready to take the step on the first day of fall, when you will get another chance at proposal day.
Did you know that there are close to 2000 National days of the year? And almost 300 of them occur in March. Find out more about the National Days in March here.
Tomorrow is National French Bread Day. Be sure to check it out!
Be sure to check back often to see which national days we are celebrating today.