May 16 is celebrated as National Mimosa Day. This classic drink is celebrated by both those who love to eat brunch out, and those who adore cocktails of all types.
May is a month full of national days devoted to all sorts of food. Check out the full list of May National Food Days here.
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
What is a Mimosa?
A mimosa is a popular cocktail that is made from orange juice and champagne. The ratio depends on how strong you like your drink. Some recipes call for equal parts and others vary in the concentration of each.
The drink is commonly served in a champagne flute and sometimes sparkling wine is used in place of champagne.
Mimosas are popular with the brunch crowd and are also a common choice for Mother’s Day, bridal showers, and Easter breakfast.
The name of the cocktail comes from the fact that the color mimics the yellow-flowered mimosa plant, Acacia dealbata.
Fun Facts about Mimosas
Brush up on your knowledge of mimosas with these fun facts. Some may surprise you!
- The mimosa was invented in 1925 at the Ritz Hotel by their head bartender, Frank Meier.
- The name of the drink comes from the mimosa flower which is a yellow Australian shrub.
- Mimosas are commonly served as brunch drinks.
- The mimosa is based on another orange juice and champagne drink called a Buck’s Fizz. In the Buck’s Fizz, the ratio is three parts orange juice to 1 part champagne.
- Many restaurants serve bottomless mimosas on the weekend.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
How to Celebrate National Mimosa Day
Would you like to celebrate National Mimosa Day in a special way? Try one of these ideas.
- Celebrate the day by drinking a mimosa.
- Change up the drink by serving your version of a mimosa.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtag #nationalmimosaday
Here is a tweet to get you started:Today is #nationalmimosaday. Grab some champagne and orange juice and make everyone's favorite brunch cocktail! 🍾🥂🍊 Click To Tweet
Mimosa Recipes for National Mimosa Day
The sky is the limit where mimosas are concerned! Try one of these mimosa recipes the next time you have quests for brunch.
More National Days in May
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in May. Be sure to check out this post to discover more about the National Days in May.
Be sure to also check out these other National Days that feature alcohol:
- National Beer Day
- National Cocktail Day
- National Mint Julep Day
- National Hot Buttered Rum Day
- National Martini Day
- National Pina Colada Day
- National Irish Coffee Day
Pin this post for National Mimosa Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Mimosa Day? Just pin this image to one of your cocktail boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
Of course the best way to celebrate National Mimosa Day is to make a mimosa cocktail to enjoy. Here is an easy recipe to print out and make.
- 3/4 cup chilled champagne
- 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice.
- Hold a chilled champagne flute at a slight tilt and fill the glass 3/4 full with champagne.
- Keeping the glass on the slant, fill the rest of the glass with fresh squeezed orange juice.
- You can adjust the ratio of champagne to orange juice to suit your taste.
Chill the champagne flute before you add the ingredients.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.