May 16 is celebrated as National Mimosa Day. This classic drink is celebrated by both those who love to eat brunch out, and those who adore cocktails of all types.
May is a month full of national days devoted to all sorts of food. Check out the full list of May National Food Days here.
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
What is a Mimosa
A mimosa is a popular cocktail that is made from equal parts of orange juice and champagne. The drink is commonly served in a champagne flute and sometimes sparkling wine is used in place of champagne.
Mimosas are popular with the brunch crowd and are also a common choice for Mother’s Day, bridal showers, and Easter breakfast.
Fun Facts about Mimosas
Brush up on your knowledge of mimosas with these fun facts. Some may surprise you!
- The mimosa was invented in 1925 at the Ritz Hotel by their head bartender, Frank Meier.
- The name of the drink comes from the mimosa flower which is a yellow Australian shrub.
- Mimosas are commonly served as brunch drinks.
- The mimosa is based on another orange juice and champagne drink called a Buck’s Fizz. In the Buck’s Fizz, the ratio is three parts orange juice to 1 part champagne.
- Many restaurants serve bottomless mimosas on the weekend.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
How to Celebrate National Mimosa Day
Would you like to celebrate National Mimosa Day in a special way? Try one of these ideas.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtag #nationalmimosaday
- Celebrate the day by drinking a mimosa.
- Change up the drink by serving your version of a mimosa.
Mimosa Recipes for National Mimosa Day
The sky is the limit where mimosas are concerned! Try one of these mimosa recipes the next time you have quests for brunch.
More National Days in May
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in May. Be sure to check out this post to discover more about the National Days in May.
Be sure to also check out these other National Days that feature alcohol:
Pin this post for National Mimosa Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Mimosa Day? Just pin this image to one of your cocktail boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.