It’s time to cozy up with a cup of hot chocolate for National Hot Chocolate Day. This day is celebrated each year on January 31.
When the weather is cold, people often enjoy a drink of hot chocolate. During the warmer months, cold chocolate milk is often the choice. Either way, the drinks are delicious!
Keep reading for fun facts about hot chocolate, some creative ways to enjoy this national day and a recipe for homemade hot chocolate.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
What is hot chocolate?
Hot chocolate is a hot drink that is made by mixing cocoa powder or chocolate with warm milk or hot water.
It is a warm drink that evokes memories of childhood and makes you happy to drink it.
If you enjoy both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks, check out National Beverage Day for some recipes and fun ways to celebrate.
Fun facts about hot chocolate
Brush up on your knowledge of hot chocolate with these fun facts.
- It is thought that hot chocolate may be healthy because it is full of antioxidants.
- Up until the late 1800s doctors used hot chocolate as a medicine to treat some diseases.
- Many believe that the first hot chocolate drink was made by the Mayans about 2000 years ago.
- The drink was brought to the new world when it was brought up from Mexico.
- Italians drink a very thick hot chocolate called cioccolata densa.
- Hot chocolate wasn’t always sweet. Early Aztec versions were a bitter drink called xocoatl which is made with chilies, toasted cor and warm water.
- Pope Gregory XIII decreed that drinkable chocolate was find even during fasting days.
- Chocolate houses were all the rage in 17th century England.
- Thomas Jefferson was a big fan of hot chocolate.
- The YMCA served hot chocolate to WWI soldiers. (They also sent peanut clusters as a sweet treat, too.)
- Chocolate is one of the minor Valentine’s Day symbols – so it would be as fitting to have a cup of hot chocolate on Valentine’s Day as it would to enjoy on one National Hot Chocolate Day!
How to observe National Hot Chocolate Day
It’s easy to get in the action on Hot Chocolate Day. Why not try one of these ways to celebrate?
- Enjoy your hot chocolate in a hot chocolate t shirt.
- Read the sweet story of hot chocolate to your kids.
- Although not traditional, you can make a frappé, with hot chocolate instead of coffee. Today is the day to try this version!
- Serve your hot chocolate in a unicorn mug. Great idea for unicorn day on March 9!
- Head to your local coffee shop for their version of your favorite hot chocolate.
- Make a steaming cup of hot chocolate and add in some mini marshmallows.
- Enjoy your hot chocolate with sprigs of mint.
- Host a hot chocolate sampler party featuring a variety of hot chocolate mixes.
- Use the hashtag #NationalHotChocolateDay or #hotchocolateday to spread the word about the day on social media. Here is a tweet to get you started:
What is a national day?
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my national day’s guide for more fun days to celebrate.
There are close to 2000 national days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in January. Be sure to check out this post to discover more about the national days in January, as well as the January word search printable of national days.
Be sure to also check out these other national days this month:
If you enjoyed this post, but sure to have a look at National Chocolate Soufflé Day. It is another chocolate inspired national day!
Pin these recipes for National Hot chocolate Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Hot Chocolate Day? Just pin this image to one of your drinks boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
One of the best ways to celebrate National Hot Chocolate Day is with a mug of it. Here are are few recipes to get you started.
- Low Carb and Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Red Velvet Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Hot Chocolate Lizner Marshmallow Cookies
- Honey Sweetened Hot Chocolate
- Matcha Hot Chocolate
- Raspberry White Hot Chocolate
- Filipino Hot Chocolate
- Thick Italian Hot Chocolate
- Real Food Chai Hot Chocolate
And my favorite recipe – homemade hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. Print it out below.
Homemade Hot Chocolate
This delicious Homemade Hot Chocolate combines cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips to make a super flavorful mug of hot chocolate that is ready in just minutes.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of of mini marshmallows
- Place the milk, cocoa powder and sugar into a small pan over medium low heat.
- Whisk frequently, until the mixture is warm.
- Add the chocolate chips and continue to whisk constantly until the chocolate melts and is well incorporated into the milk.
- Stir in the pure vanilla extract
- Garnish with mini marshmallows and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 188mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 29gProtein: 12g
Nutritional information is approximate due to natural variation in ingredients and the cook-at-home nature of our meals.
Monday 31st of January 2022