Coke drinkers take note – May 8 is National Have a Coke Day. It’s time to grab a can of one of America’s favorite soft drinks. After all, we’ve been drinking it since 1891!
National Days are a fun way to celebrate, particularly if they have an association with food and drink. Each month there dozens of them to choose from. In May, there are many opportunities to party with friends and what says party more than a tall glass of Coke?
For more information on the National Food Days in May, check out this post. It has a lot of great ideas and recipes.
Coca Cola is a carbonated soft drink that is often referred to as just Coke. The name Coca-Cola has been a registered trade mark of the Coca-Cola Company in the US since 1944. Over 1.8 million servings of the drink are consumed every day.
Fun Facts About Coca Cola
Here are some fun facts about Coke that you may not know:
- The first bottle of Coke was intended to be a patent medicine to help with fatigue and headaches.
- The original Coca-Cola recipe contained 9 mg of cocaine per glass.
- In 1886, a bottle of Coke cost just 5 cents!
- Coca-Cola was invented in the late 19th century by John Pemberton
- The name Coca-Cola comes from two of the original ingredients: kola nuts (which have caffeine) and coca leaves.
- A 12 ounce can of Coke contains 38 grams of sugar.
- Soda fountains were popular places to get a drink of coke in the 20th century.
- Over 1,000,000,000 cans of Coca-Cola syrup had been manufactured by the year 1945.
- The cans of coke that we know today first appeared in 1955.
- Coke is sold in over 200 countries.
How to celebrate National Have a Coke Day
- Share the word on social media with the hashtags #haveacokeday and #nationaldays.
- Get together with friends and grab a glass of coke.
- Host a cocktail party and offer some alcohol to mix in with your glass of coke. (Please drink responsibly.)
- Go antique hunting to see if you can find old Coca Cola bottles and other Coke Memorabilia for sale.
- Use Coke Bottles in craft projects.
- Use Coke in one of the recipes featured below.
Using Coca Cola in Recipes
You don’t have to just drink a glass of coke. Try using it in one of these recipes:
- Coca Cola Popsicles are a great summer thirst quencher.
- Get out the BBQ for these grilled Coke wings.
- Dirty coke fudge has a pretty swirled look to it!
- Combine coke with red wine to make a Bambus Cocktail.
- Add bourbon and coke to make pulled pork tostadas for a Mexican meal that is sure to please.
- Treat your sweet tooth with these Coke cupcakes with peanut butter frosting.
There are over 1500 National Days every year. Don’t miss any of them. Check back often to see which National Days we are talking about today and be sure to print out my free May National Day calendar to help with planning the month.
For more National Days in May, check out one of these days, as well.
- National Butterscotch Brownie Day – May 9
- National Twilight Zone Day – May 11
- National Buttermilk Biscuit Day – May 14
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."