Coke drinkers take note – May 8 is National Have a Coke Day. It’s time to grab a can of one of America’s favorite soft drinks. After all, we’ve been drinking it since 1891!
National days are a fun way to celebrate, particularly if they have an association with food and drink. Each month there dozens of them to choose from.
In May, there are many opportunities to party with friends and what says party more than a tall glass of Coke?
For more information on the national food days in May, check out this post. It has a lot of great ideas and recipes.
Coca Cola is a carbonated soft drink that is often referred to as just Coke. The name Coca-Cola has been a registered trade mark of the Coca-Cola Company in the US since 1944.
Over 1.8 million servings of this carbonated drink are consumed every day.
Fun facts about Coca Cola
Here are some fun facts about Coke that you may not know:
- The first bottle of Coke was intended to be a patent medicine to help with fatigue and headaches.
- The original Coca-Cola recipe contained 9 mg of cocaine per glass.
- In 1886, a bottle of Coke cost just 5 cents!
- Coca-Cola was invented in the late 19th century by John Pemberton
- The name Coca-Cola comes from two of the original ingredients: kola nuts (which have caffeine) and coca leaves.
- A 12 ounce can of Coke contains 38 grams of sugar.
- Soda fountains were popular places to get a drink of coke in the 20th century.
- Over 1,000,000,000 cans of Coca-Cola syrup had been manufactured by the year 1945.
- The cans of coke that we know today first appeared in 1955.
- Coke is sold in over 200 countries.
How to celebrate National Have a Coke Day
There are lots of obvious ways to celebrate National Have a Coke Day. Here are some creative ideas.
- Get together with friends and grab a glass of coke.
- Host a cocktail party and offer some alcohol to mix in with your glass of coke. (Please drink responsibly.)
- Go antique hunting to see if you can find old Coca Cola bottles and other Coke memorabilia for sale.
- Use Coke bottles in craft projects.
- Use Coke in one of the recipes featured below.
- Share the word on social media with the hashtags #nationalhaveacokeday #haveacokeday and #nationaldays.
Here is a tweet to get you started:March 8 is #NationalHaveACokeDay. Coca Cola is made in more than 200 countries. Fill your glass and celebrate the day. #nationaldays #haveacoke 🥤 Click To Tweet
Using Coca Cola in recipes
You don’t have to just drink a glass of coke. Try using it in one of these recipes:
- Coca Cola popsicles are a great summer thirst quencher.
- Get out the BBQ for these grilled Coke wings.
- Dirty coke fudge has a pretty swirled look to it!
- Combine coke with red wine to make a Bambus cocktail.
- Add bourbon and coke to make pulled pork tostadas for a Mexican meal that is sure to please.
- Treat your sweet tooth with these Coke cupcakes with peanut butter frosting.
- If you love cherry cola, you will like this recipe for cranberry Coke.
- This boozy Coke cake is infused with rum and topped with whip cream.
Learn more about national days
There are over 1500 national days every year. Don’t miss any of them.
Check back often to see which national days we are talking about today and be sure to print out my free May word search printable to help with planning the month.
For more national days in May, check out one of these days, as well.
- National Butterscotch Brownie Day – May 9
- National Twilight Zone Day – May 11
- National Buttermilk Biscuit Day – May 14
- National Mint Julep Day – May 30
May 8 national days
National Have a Coke Day shares its date with other national days. Here are a list of all the other May 8 national days.
- National Have a Coke Day
- National Coconut Cream Pie Day
- National Student Nurses Day
- Free Trade Day
- No Socks Day
- Iris Day (called Irisfeest in Belgium)
Pin this post for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Have a Coke Day, just pin this image to one of your trivia boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
Admin note: This post first appeared on the blog in May of 2018. I have updated the post to add new photos and recipes for you to enjoy.