Today is National Grilled Cheese Day and it’s the perfect day to indulge in this tasty comfort food treat. Who doesn’t love the taste of gooey grilled cheese between two pieces of toasted bread?
April is a month full of national days devoted to all sorts of food. Check out the full list of April national food days here.
So many of the national days are associated with food in some way. This is no surprise since we all love to eat and celebrating with food is an American custom.
Don’t know about these special days? Check out my national days guide here. It gives lots of information on how these days come into play.
This food favorite is so popular the the whole month of April is also known as National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month! Time to get the grill out.
If you love the idea of national days related to bread, be sure to check out National French Bread Day for another carb inspired day. And also check out National Cheese Ball Day for recipes to use cheese for your parties.
Fun facts about National Grilled Cheese Day
Before we get started on some grilled cheese sandwich recipes, let’s find out some fun facts about how this recipe idea came about.
- The first grilled cheese cooking competition took place in Los Angeles in 2009. Thousands of people attended the ceremony and it has turned into an annual food festival. The last one was held in 2014.
- Man has paired bread with cheese for centuries dating back to Roman Times. Cooking the two together seems to date to about the 1920s.
- Grilled cheese sandwich ideas are among the top comfort food recipes.
- The first grilled cheese sandwiches were open faced, but today’s version resembles a normal sandwich with two slices of bread.
- The Golden Palace in Las Vegas paid $28.000 for a half eaten grilled cheese sandwich with the likeness of the Virgin Mary on it. The seller of the sandwich listed it on eBay!
- A favorite of the soldiers in World War II was the grilled cheese sandwich
- The most popular add-ons for grilled cheese sandwiches are bacon, tomato and ham.
How many calories are in a grilled cheese sandwich?
This varies depending on the type of bread used, and the amount and type of cheese, but most grilled cheese sandwiches work out to about 310 calories if one slice of cheese and white bread is used.National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day is April 12. Celebrate with one of these tasty recipes. #grilledcheeseday #nationalgrilledcheesesandwichday Click To Tweet
How to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day
- Promote the idea on social media by using the hashtag #GrilledCheeseDay and #nationalgrilledcheesesandwichday in your posts.
- Invest in a panini press grill to make your grilled cheese sandwiches even faster by cooking both sides at once.
- Read a story to your child about grilled cheese. One option is Grilled Cheese Please by Jay Wright.
- And of course, the best way to celebrate national grilled cheese sandwich day is by making a fabulous sandwich. All you need to make one is some buttered bread, and a slice of cheese. But don’t stop there – experiment by adding more ingredients of your choice.
Ultimate grilled cheese sandwich ideas
Making a grilled cheese sandwich is so easy and fast but these sandwiches are also very versatile and can be turned into a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich in a flash.
Just mix and match cheese, breads and the seasonings that you use. Mix in some vegetables and cook the sandwich in a special oil to take your plain grilled cheese to a whole new level.
Here are some grilled cheese sandwich recipes to try:
- Italian food lovers will adore this lasagna style grilled cheese sandwich with layers of tasty flavors.
- Try this leek and Gruyere grilled cheese sandwich for a rich and buttery sandwich that is loaded with flavor.
- This blackberry Brie grilled cheese sandwich is a sweet and savory combo that gives a fun twist on the classic.
- Coconut Flour is used to make this grilled cheese sandwich low carb and gluten free.
- This three cheese pesto avocado grilled cheese will have you drooling over the smooth melted cheese mixed with the sharp herb pesto, and creamy avocado in a sandwich.
- Grilled Cheese meets Philly Cheese steak in this ultimate cheese steak grilled cheese sandwich recipe.
- Try this bacon grilled cheese sandwich for a rich and creamy lunch time option.
- This grilled ham and cheese sandwich calls for Havarti cheese and fig preserves for a unique flavor.
- Find out how to make a perfect grilled cheese sandwich in this post.
- This pizza grilled cheese sandwich is made with provolone, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese and layered with pepperoni between two slices of soft, tender bread. Oh MY YES!
More national days
There are almost 2000 national days. Be sure to check out list of April national days in this calendar to find out about more days to celebrate in April.
If you love to plan the month ahead with food and decor ideas, I also have a fun and free printable of the April national days calendar that you can print out on your computer.
It shows 30 popular national days to use as inspiration for your activities and food planning.
What is your favorite way to make grilled cheese to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day? Make sure to let us know in the comments below!