National Gossip Day falls annually on August 6th. It is a day dedicated to gossip.
Keep reading to learn what gossip is, and how to observe the day.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
What is Gossip?
Since it’s National Gossip Day, let’s define the word Gossip. It is both a noun, and a verb. As a noun, gossip is defined as unverified information, usually relating to personal matters.
As a verb, gossip is defined as the act of speaking to others (either casually or maliciously) about this unverified personal information.
The word gossip has a negative connotation, so if someone is gossiping, it’s normally not a good thing. In fact, gossip can be very harmful to others. Gossip can contribute to lower self-confidence and self-esteem.
I suggest we use National Gossip Day as a way to bring our awareness to the tendencies, as a society of people, to gossip. The more aware of gossip we are, the more likely we are to stop doing it in the moment.
If you are feeling the negative effects of gossip, you are not alone! It may be helpful to reach out to a certified therapist, or counselor for help.
How To Observe National Gossip Day
There are lots of ways to observe National Gossip Day. Here are a few other creative ideas to help honor this day.
- Watch the movie Mean Girls. While this movie is fictional, it still provides an opportunity to see the effect gossip can have on a group of people.
- Speaking of Mean Girls, another way to celebrate is to read the self help book written by Rosalind Wiseman called Queen Bees & Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques”, Gossip, Boyfriends & Other Realities of Adolescence. This was the book Mean Girls was based on!
- Challenge gossip if you hear it, today and every day. If information sounds like gossip, ask the person what their source is. If they don’t have a credible source, do your part in not spreading the gossip.
- If you feel you could benefit from talking to a therapist about how gossip has effected you, and your life, today would be the perfect day to reach out to one! You are not alone!
- Talk to your friends about gossip, and make a friendship pact not to gossip and spread rumors!
- If you feel comfortable doing so, take the time to journal about a time gossip affected your life.
- Do the word search puzzle for August to see if you can find Gossip Day in it.
- Tune in to the TV show Gossip Girl. While fictional, this show dedicated to gossiping, conveys how gossip can affect a group of people.
- Instead of gossiping, share some motivational quotes with friends to spread good cheer.
- Use the hashtag #NationalGossipDay to spread the word about the day on social media. Here is a tweet to get you started:
What is a National Day?
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in August. To see them all, have a look at this post to discover more about the National Days in August.
Is food your thing? Each day of the month has a food or drink associated with it, too. You’ll find all the August Food Holidays here.
Be sure to also check out these other unusual National Days:
Pin This Post On National Gossip Day For Later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Gossip Day? Just pin this image to one of your trivia boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
About the author
Since graduating from The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Jess has been living and working in Los Angeles, CA. She is a freelance writer, specializing in content related to fashion, food and drink and film industry topics. Find out more about Jess here.