On March 22, we celebrate National Goof Off Day. This is the day to forget the expectations of yourself and others and just have fun for a change.
Today is the day to just spend some time enjoying life and goofing off. Your work and other tasks can wait until tomorrow.
We all need some time to relax and take a break and today is the day to do it.
For another great day to relax and have fun, be sure to check out Be a Kid Again Day.
Why should we take the time to goof off?
Goofing off means passing the time by the most unproductive means possible. So why should you do it?
Life is full of days that are crammed with moments where something needs to be done. We all feel the pressure of this.
Goofing off gives us a chance to just spend a few moments doing NOTHING productive – but just having fun.
It’s actually good to goof off a little every now and then to get rid of the lactic acid that build up in your bloodstream.
We’ve all heard the term “all work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.” Well today, there is a national day for doing the opposite – all play!
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
History of Goof Off Day
Goof Off Day was first celebrated in 1976 and became an international holiday in 1983.
National Goof Off Day is the idea of a 10 year old girl named Monica (Moeller) Defour who did not like the idea that she needed to be doing something in every moment of the day.
The day was started by Monica and her grandfather William D. Chase. The holiday has been included in every issue of Chase’s Calendar of Events, the ultimate go-to guide for special events and days of the year.
When she explained her idea of Goof Off Day, a local newspaper promoted the idea and it became a fun national day.
How to observe National Goof Off Day
There is no rule book for celebrating National Goof Off Day. That is the whole reason for its being! Here are a few creative ways to help honor this day.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
- Stay in your PJs all day long.
- Read the book Goose Goofs Off to your child. His motto is I’ll do it tomorrow!
- Play a game of pick up sticks with twigs from your garden.
- Just be silly all day long.
- Spend the day doing jigsaw puzzles or other puzzle games.
- Turn off your electronics and goof off in the outdoors!
- Pop some popcorn and spend the day watching funny comedy movies.
- Read some jokes from your favorite joke book to all your friends.
- Do the word search puzzle for March to see if you can find Goof Off Day in it.
- Use the hashtag #NationalGoofOffDay to spread the word about the day on social media. Here is a tweet to get you started:
More National Days This month
Be sure to also check out these other National Days this Month:
- National Kiss Your Fiance Day
- National Earmuff Day
- Cuddly Kitten Day
- Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day
- National Landline Telephone Day
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in February. To see them all, have a look at this post to discover more about the National Days in March.
Is food your thing? Each day of the month has a food or drink associated with it, too. You’ll find all the March Food Holidays here.
Pin this post for National Goof Off Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Goof Off Day? Just pin this image to one of your trivia boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.