June 19 is celebrated each year as National Garfield the Cat Day. Join us as we brush up on our Garfield fun facts and learn more about this famous cat.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
Fun facts about Garfield the Cat
Garfield is a fictional character who was featured in the comic strip Garfield, created by Jim Davis. Here are some fun facts about this cheeky cat.
- Other characters in the comic strip were the owner, Jon Arbuckle and his dog Odie as well as his vet Dr. Liz Wilson.
- The comic strip was first published on June 19, 1978.
- Garfield holds the Guinness World Record for the honor of being the most syndicated comic strip.
- Garfield is well known for being lazy, hating Monday’s (and diets) and loving lasagna.
- The book, Garfield at Large, made the NY Times best seller list.
- Garfield has been translated into 7 languages.
- The comic strip is set in Muncie, Indiana.
- Garfield also has a few cookbooks, one is called Garfield – Recipes with Cattitude.
How to observe National Garfield the Cat Day
- Use the hashtag #NationalGarfieldtheCatDay to spread the word about the day on social media.
- Dress up like Garfield the Cat.
- Have a competition for the neighborhood kids to see who can draw the best comic strip of Garfield.
- Enjoy a Garfield movie while eating a bowl of lasagna soup.
- Treat your child to some Garfield the cat pajamas.
What are National Days?
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in June. Be sure to check out this post to discover more about the National Days in June, as well as here to print out the June National Day Calendar.
Be sure to also check out these other National Days this Month:
Pin this post for National Garfield the Cat Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Garfield the Cat Day? Just pin this image to one of your trivia boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."