Do you love football and the Super Bowl? If so, then National Football Hangover Day is for you. Read on to learn how to celebrate this day!
Are you one of the millions of Americans calling out of work to celebrate this national day? Learn why so many people skip work today to nurse their football hangovers.
National days of the year are a great way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my national day’s guide for more fun days to celebrate.
What is National Football Hangover Day?
National Football Hangover Day is a day that occurs every year on the day after Super Bowl Sunday.
Since the Super Bowl is always the second Sunday in February, its date changes every year. The same concept applies with National Football Hangover Day.
This national day dedicated to football occurs annually on the Monday directly after the Super Bowl.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
History of this national day
National Football Hangover Day was created in January of 2019 by ESPN host, and sports personality, Katie Nolan.
The day is meant to give back to football fans by allowing them a whole day to recover from the Super Bowl hangovers they may be experiencing after the game.
Katie Nolan specified that this day was especially for the fans who had been loyal to the game and their team(s) all year long!
Whether it’s a food coma, a hangover from drinking, or merely the sadness of being without football for another year, this national day is for you!
Fun facts about National Football Hangover Day
Brush up on your knowledge of this football inspired national day with these fun facts. Some may surprise you!
- National Football Hangover Day is a relatively new national day. It only became an official national day in 2019.
- This day is a popular reason for calling out of work. In 2020, an estimated 17.5 million people were expected to miss work on this day. They either using vacation time, called out, or simply didn’t show up at all.
- The Super Bowl is one of the most watched single network tv broadcasts. In fact, in the list of the top 30 most watched broadcasts, the Super Bowl holds 29 of the 30 spaces.
- Katie Nolan is the creator of National Football Hangover Day. She is an ESPN host, and sports personality.
How to celebrate the day after the Super Bowl
Would you like to celebrate National Football Hangover Day in a special way? Try one of these ideas.
- Have some “hair of the dog” to nurse your hangover – like a Bloody Mary or a Michelada!
- Call out of work, and spend the day relaxing and recovering from your Super Bowl Sunday food coma.
- Learn more about the other national days the Super Bowl shares a date with – National Pork Rind Appreciation Day and Super Chicken Wing Day. It’s a good bet you had at least one of those football fan favorite snacks yesterday!
- If you find yourself missing the Super Bowl, watch a replay of the game’s highlights.
- Don’t forget to drink plenty of water today and hydrate yourself. It’s no fun to have a hangover, even if the day calls for it!
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtag #NationalFootballHangoverDay. Here is a tweet to get you started:
More national days in February
Did you know that there are close to 2000 national days in the year? Over 150 of them are celebrated in February!
To learn more about national days, have a look at this post listing every single national day in February. There’s also a February word search printable of national days for those who enjoy solving puzzles.
Are you a foodie? Each day of the month has a food or drink associated with it, too. You’ll find all the food holidays in February here.
Be sure to also check out these national days this month:
- National Groundhog Day – Do you remember hearing about the groundhog and his shadow when you were little? Learn more about this fun tradition and get our free Groundhog Day word search printable.
- National Frozen Yogurt Day – Are you a froyo fan? Make sure to head over to our post on the national day dedicated to this tasty treat!
- National Chili Day – Looking for a hot meal on one of the chilly days in February? Head to our post on National Chili Day for fun facts about chili and some delicious recipes!
- National Pistachio Day – Are you a pistachio fan? Head over to our post on National Pistachio Day to learn more about this nut!
Pin this post on National Football Hangover Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for this national day? Just pin this image to one of your trivia boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
To learn about more national days in February, watch our YouTube video.
About the author
Since graduating from The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Jess has been living and working in Los Angeles, CA. She is a freelance writer, specializing in content related to fashion, food and drink and film industry topics. Find out more about Jess here.