If you live in the warmer states, celebrating National Earmuff Day on March 13 or the first Saturday in December as Earmuff Day may seem either nonsensical or appropriate. f
For those who live in the northern states, earmuffs are a nice invention and deserve their own special day. no matter which month you celebrate it.
Earmuff Day also reminds us that the warm spring weather might just be unpredictable. Perhaps we can’t rely on the Groundhog day prediction after all!
This special day shows us that everything in our modern lifestyle gets a national day, even fashion and clothing. Check out National Bikini Day for more of this type of day to celebrate.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
What are earmuffs?
Earmuffs are a pair of coverings made of soft fabric (often fur) which are connected by a band which sits across the top of the head.
These warm and toasty coverings are mean to protect the ears from the cold and also are used to keep out unwanted sounds.
One of the advantages of earmuffs is that they only cover the ears, so if the day is just a bit chilly, there is no need to don a heavy winter cap.
Fun facts about earmuffs
Brush up on your knowledge of earmuffs with these fun facts.
- A boy names Chester Greenwood invented earmuffs when he was 15 years old. They were made from beaver fur and wire.
- There are two kinds of earmuffs: thermal earmuffs, which keep your ears warm, and acoustic earmuffs, which block out sound and noise.
- Acoustic earmuffs are also called ear defenders.
- Farmington, Maine is called the Earmuff Capital of the World.
- Properly fitted earmuffs can reduce the noise level by 15 to 30 dB.
How to celebrate National Earmuff Day
Here are a few other creative ideas to help honor National Earmuff day.
- Show up at work or school wearing a pair of earmuffs.
- Read your child the book Frankenstein doesn’t wear earmuffs.
- Treat yourself to some whimsical unicorn earmuffs. You can also wear them to celebrate National Unicorn Day!
- Do the word search puzzle for March to see if you can find Earmuff Day in it.
- Use the hashtag #NationalEarmuffDay to spread the word about the day on social media. Here is a tweet to get you started:
What is a national day?
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual happenings, animals and foods that you come into contact with.
Be sure to have a look at my national day’s guide for more fun days to celebrate.
There are close to 2000 national days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in February. To see them all, have a look at this post to discover more about the national days in March.
Is food your thing? Each day of the month has a food or drink associated with it, too. You’ll find all the March food holidays here.
Be sure to also check out these other unusual national days this month:
- National Landline Telephone Day
- National Old Stuff Day
- National Proposal Day
- Cuddly Kitten Day
- Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day
- National Goof Off Day
- National Kiss Your Fiance Day (another way to keep warm!)
Pin this post for National Earmuff Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Earmuff Day? Just pin this image to one of your trivia boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.