National Disc Jockey Day is celebrated every year on January 20. This is a day to pay special tribute to DJs who play the music and spin the records that we love to hear.
Keep reading to learn the history and interesting facts about DJs, and ways to celebrate this national day.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
What is a disc jockey?
A disc jockey (usually called a DJ) is a person who plays recorded music in front of a live audience. This can take place in person or on a program such as a radio show.
There are several types of DJs but the most common types are:
- radio DJs
- club DJs
- party DJs
Another type of DJ is called a turtablist. They use turntables to manipulate sounds on records.
Interesting facts about being a disc jockey
National Disc Jockey Day is also known as National DJ Day, Disc Jockey Day and DJ Day. Brush up on your knowledge of the disc jockey with these fun facts.
- The first disc jockey was actually an experiment! In 1909, a sixteen-year-old boy named Ray Newby played the first records over the airwaves long before the words disc jockey even existed.
- Disc Jockeys used to hide the labels of their records so listeners would have to guess which records the tracks they played were from.
- In the ’70s, party goers would come to hear and see 2 DJs at the same party blasting each other with their sounds – this became known as a DJ soundclash.
- Being a DJ requires being a person in a highly skilled technical art form. It has a deep history and takes hours of practice which needs a high level of musical knowledge.
- Walter Winchell coined the term disc jockey in the 1930s.
- The salary of a professional disc jockey can range from $10.00 to $124, depending on their experience.
How to observe National DJ Day
- Start your morning with a cup of Joe in a special DJ Cup.
- Have a party and be the DJ yourself. Be sure to wear a special DJ T Shirt!
- Learn how to be a DJ in 10 Easy Lessons.
- Phone in to a radio show and give them a request for one of your favorite songs. While you’re talking to them, make sure the DJ knows that YOU know it’s National DJ Day — and say “thank you.”
- Use the hashtag #NationalDiscJockey #NationalDJDay and #DJDay to spread the word about the day on social media. Here is a tweet to get you started:
What are national days of the year?
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my national day’s guide for more fun days to celebrate.
There are close to 2000 national days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in January. Have a look at this post to discover more about the national days in January, as well as the January printable calendar of national days.
Be sure to also check out these other national days this month:
If you like your DJ to play guitar music, be sure to also check out Get Out Your Guitar Day, too.
Pin this post for National Disc Jockey Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Disc Jockey Day? Just pin this image to one of your trivia boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.