May 7 is National Cosmopolitan Day. Better known as the “Cosmo,” the drink is a combination of vodka, triple sec, lime juice, and cranberry juice.
There are slight variations on the recipe (I like mine with some orange liquor as well) but a drink devised in 1987 by bartender, Toby Cecchini is the one that we associate with the modern day Cosmo.
May is a month full of national days devoted to all sorts of food. Check out the full list of May National Food Days here.
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
Fun Facts about the Cosmopolitan
Brush up on your knowledge of the Cosmopolitan with these fun facts. Some may surprise you!
- The roots of the Cosmopolitan came from a drink called the Daisy from the 1930’s. This version had gin, cointreau, lemon juice and raspberry syrup. Similar but sweeter than our Cosmo.
- The Cosmo was popularized by the movie Sex and the City, since it was a favorite drink of the actors in the series.
- Before Carrie Bradshaw and friends enjoyed the drink, it was enjoyed by Madonna and other celebrities.
- In the 1960’s a recipe for a cocktail on Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice Bottles was called the “harpoon.”
- Even though Tony Cecchini is often credited as the creator of the Cosmo, the history is rather murky. Some think the origins go back to late 19th century.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
How to Celebrate National Cosmopolitan Day
Would you like to celebrate National Cosmopolitan Day in a special way? Try one of these ideas.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtag #nationalcosmopolitanday.
- Have a marathon of Sex and the City with your friends while drinking Cosmopolitans.
- Invite friends over for brunch and whip up some cosmopolitans.
This recipe is a bit of a change up from the original, but I like the deep color that adding orange liquor adds to the drink.
More National Days in May
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in May. Be sure to check out this post to discover more about the National Days in May.
Be sure to also check out these National Days this Month:
Pin this post for National Cosmopolitan Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Cosmopolitan Day? Just pin this image to one of your cocktail boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
This pretty patriotic cosmopolitan would be perfect for either Memorial Day or the 4th of July. Get the Recipe here.