April 17 is celebrated as National Cheese Ball Day. If this party appetizer is something you enjoy, read on for some fun facts and recipes to honor this tasty food holiday.
April is a month full of national days devoted to all sorts of food. Check out the full list of April National Food Days here.
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
What is a Cheese Ball?
A cheese ball is a party appetizer that is normally made with cheddar cheese, cream cheese, onions and spices. Often the ball is coated in chopped pecans.
Over the years since it first appeared, the sky is the limit for ingredients in the ball and on its outside coating
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
Fun Facts about Cheese Balls
Brush up on your knowledge of cheese balls with these fun facts. Some may surprise you!
- According to legend, Michelle Buffardi, the author of Great Balls of Cheese, says that the first cheese ball in recorded history was made by Elisha Brown, Jr in 1801. He presented the cheese ball to President Jefferson at the White House.
- The term “cheese ball” can also refer a commercial snack that looks like puffed air and has an orange outside to it.
- Cheese ball also is used to refer to a person or thing which lacks taste, style, or originality.
- Cheese balls are often served at parties during the holidays.
- The earliest mention of a cheese ball was in a 1944 cookbook called “Food of My Friends”.
How to Celebrate National Cheese Ball Day
Would you like to celebrate National Cheese Ball Day in a special way? Try one of these ideas.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtag #nationalcheeseballday.
- Brush up on your cheese ball technique with a Cheese Balls Cookbook.
- Have a party and ask everyone to bring their favorite cheese ball to sample.
- And, of course, make a cheese ball yourself for your friends and family.
Recipes for National Cheese Ball Day
Cheese balls are the perfect way to start any party. They are savory and easy to make and everyone loves them! Try one of these on for size.
Football Cheese Ball – Easy, Spicy and Fun!
Your game party will be a huge hit with this football shaped cheese ball. Dig in!Continue Reading
Game Day Cheese Balls – Sweet and Sour Style
Cheese balls don't need to be savory. This yummy ball is covered in Skittles candy. The kids will love it.Continue Reading
Candy Cane Cream Cheese Spread
Shape your cheese spread into a candy cane shape and decorate with bell peppers for a festive lookGet the Recipe
Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball
Make this easy Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball for your next party or gathering, and watch it disappear fast! This is a great make ahead appetizer!Continue Reading
Bacon and Chives Cheese Balls Recipe
Easy, cheesy and bacony bite-size appetizer ideal for your Holiday parties or even game days!Continue Reading
Cherry Chocolate Chip Cheeseball
A delicious, sweet Cheese ball filled with Maraschino Cherries and mini Chocolate Chips! Perfect for Valentine’s Day or any special day!!Continue Reading
Carrot Cheese Ball Easter Appetizer
This darling and delicious carrot cheese ball which makes a charming Easter appetizer, don’t you think?Continue Reading
Oreo Cookies and Cream Cheese Ball for Game Day
If you love sweet cheese ball recipes, this Oreo Cookies and Cream Cheese Ball Recipe for Game Day is going to knock your socks off! Whatever that means.Continue Reading
Bolitas de Queso (Fried Cheese Balls)
You are here: Home / Recipes / Bolitas de Queso (Fried Cheese Balls) By Rebekah BOLITAS DE QUESO (FRIED CHEESE BALLS) Pin Share Tweet What’s better than cheese? Fried cheese balls (bolitas de queso)! Only three ingredients in this easy, cheesy appetizer that’s crunchy on the outside while melted and gooey on the inside.Continue Reading
Turkey Cheese Ball Thanksgiving Appetizer
What’s Inside: This Turkey Cheese Ball is a super cute Thanksgiving appetizer that takes just minutes to assemble with our shortcut recipe!Continue Reading
More National Days in April
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in April. Be sure to check out this post to discover more about the National Days in April.
Be sure to also check out these National Days this Month:
- National Cinnamon Crescent Day
- National Picnic Day
- Chocolate Covered Cashews Day
- National Grilled Cheese Day
Pin this post for National Cheese Ball Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Cheese Ball Day? Just pin this image to one of your Cooking boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.