Who can resist the tempting flavor of flaky buttermilk biscuits? They are a staple in the South at any gathering. If you love them as much as I do, today is the day to celebrate. It’s National Buttermilk Biscuit Day on May 14. It’s a tasty National day that foodies love to celebrate.
If you hail from the Southern part of the USA, chances are that you eat a lot of biscuits. Southern style biscuits are perfect as a side dish, great on a lazy weekend morning for breakfast and a staple food side dish for any special occasion.
Looking for recipes and ideas for the National Food Days in May? Check out this post. It has a lot of great ideas.
Want something to go with fresh biscuits? Check out National Chili Day on the fourth Thursday of February.
Fun Facts About Biscuits.
Here are some facts about biscuits that you may not be aware of:
- Biscuits in the US are different from those in the UK. If you ask for a biscuit in the USA, you’ll get what those in the UK know as scones. And if you ask for a biscuit in the UK, you’ll get what those in the US know as a cookie!
- The average buttermilk biscuit has over 200 calories.
- The first biscuit cutter was patented in 1875 by Alexander P. Ashbourne.
- Many people enjoy buttermilk biscuits and gravy instead of butter or jam.
- The biggest difference between biscuits and rolls is the leavening agent. Biscuits use baking soda and rolls use yeast.
- Even though butter is one of the main ingredients in a biscuit recipe, most people also add butter to the baked biscuit.
- We have been eating buttermilk biscuits since before the Civil War.
- Those biscuits in a refrigerated can first came out in 1931 when Ballard and Ballard patented them.
How to Celebrate Buttermilk Biscuit Day
- Go out to eat at a Southern Style restaurant and order a side of Buttermilk Biscuits.
- Have a buttermilk biscuit exchange. Each person brings a box of their favorites with a recipe and you test them. Then you swap both the recipes and the finished biscuits to take home.
- Check out your local restaurants to see if they are offering specials for this National Food Day.
- Read Cajun Cornbread Boy and the Buttermilk Biscuit Girl to your Child.
- Whip up a batch of buttermilk biscuits using one of the recipes below.
- Play the album Buttermilk Biscuits (Keep On Square Dancin’ and have a romp while you eat biscuits.
- Spread the word on social media using the hashtags #buttermilkbiscuit and #nationalbuttermilkbiscuitday.
Here is a tweet to get you started.Looking for something to bake today? It's #nationalbuttermilkbiscuitday. Get some recipes for making biscuits as well as ideas for what to eat homemade biscuits with. 🍢🥛 Click To Tweet
Enjoy these recipes for National Buttermilk Biscuit Day
With National Buttermilk Biscuit Day (May 14) coming up soon, it’s time to start sampling some new ways to honor the traditional biscuit. Here are 10 tasty ways to celebrate today:
- This recipe for chicken and buttermilk biscuits pot pie gives you two Southern tastes in one without needing a side dish.
- These tasty biscuits are a copy of the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay buttermilk biscuits.
- Like French cooking? Try adding tarragon to your next batch of buttermilk biscuits.
- Turn Pillsbury Grands Biscuits in a can into easy biscuit doughnuts for breakfast.
- These blueberry biscuits with a lemon glaze are a wonderful way to change up your weekend breakfast!
- If you love fluffy homemade biscuits, then you’re going to love this recipe for Mile High Buttermilk Biscuits.
- These Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits baked in a pan are a short-cut method to making light and flaky biscuits.
- If you can’t eat grain products, you’ll love these gluten free buttery buttermilk biscuits.
- The best, fluffiest biscuit, served with chocolate gravy, perfect for a weekend brunch.
- These Parmesan Garlic Buttermilk Biscuits made from Scratch are really light and fluffy. They are easy to mix together and even easier to eat!
Days of the Year Featuring Biscuits
There are three days of the year that feature biscuits. One is for our furry friends, one is the buttermilk biscuit that we talk about there and the third refers to the word biscuit as those in the UK use it. We know it as a cookie!
- National Dog Biscuit Day – February 23
- National Buttermilk Biscuit Day – May 14
- National Biscuit Day – May 29
And if you love bread national days, be sure to check out National French Bread Day for another carb inspired National Day.
There are almost 2000 National days of the year. The May National Day calendar has over 350 of them, alone and many are associated with food. Don’t miss a single National Day. Check back soon to see what day we are celebrating this week.
And if you like to plan ahead, be sure to print out our Free Printable May National Days calendar. It’s a great help to get inspiration for recipes and craft projects.
Pin these biscuit recipes for later
Would you like a reminder of these biscuit recipes? Just pin this image to one of your cooking boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.