May 6 is celebrated each year as National Beverage Day. No matter your preferred choice of drink, today is the day to sit back, grab a glass and enjoy your favorite beverage.
Beverages play a big part in our lives, whether it is nourishment in liquid form, or a way to enjoy entertaining with friends.
And when the weather starts to get warm like it is now, it’s hard to imagine a day without a cool beverage of some sort, or an icy cold glass of beer.
It is not just during the summer months that beverages play a part in our lives. From cold champagne on New Year’s Eve, to a hot spiced wine to celebrate the holidays in December, beverages are something we enjoy all year long.
It is only fitting that we would have a National Day devoted to enjoying our favorite liquid refreshment!
National days of the year are a fun way to celebrate odd and unusual foods, animals and items that you come into contact with. Be sure to check out my National Day’s Guide for more fun days to celebrate.
Fun Facts about Beverages
Brush up on your knowledge of beverages with these fun facts.
- The earliest mention of a National Beverage Day was in 1921 when “Bottled Carbonated Beverage Day” was named in a trade publication called The Re-Ly-On Bottler.
- Ads in the 1920’s often referred to “Beverage Day”.
- The most consumed beverage in the world is tea.
- Beer takes second place.
- Water is not considered a beverage!
- The largest beverage company in the word is Coca Cola.
- If you shine ultraviolet light on tonic water, it becomes fluorescent, because of the quinine in it.
- The first carbonated drinks were made in the United States in 1807.
- Dean Martin was often seen carrying a glass of whiskey. In actual fact, he rarely, if ever, drank. The image was just part of his act.
- The official drink of the USA is bourbon.
- Lots of children first became entrepreneurs when they opened a lemonade stand near their home.
How to observe National Beverage Day
There are lots of ways to celebrate National Beverage Day. Here are a few ideas to help honor the day:
- Have a Worldwide beverage tasting party where each guests brings a beverage associated with a country of their choice.
- Relax with your significant other and enjoy your favorite beverages.
- Meet your friends for happy hour to celebrate the day.
- Treat yourself to a new coffee or tea mug to honor the day.
- Use a new bartenders set to concoct some cocktails you haven’t tried before.
- Check out the history of bartending.
- Try one of the drinks below for a new beverage sensation.
- Use the hashtag #NationalBeverageDay and #BeverageDay to spread the word about the day on social media. Be sure to add some images of your favorite drinks, too. Here is a tweet to get you started:
Try a new beverage!
One of the best ways to celebrate National Beverage Day is with a new beverage that you haven’t tried before. Here are a few ideas:
- For something unusual, try this blood orange elderflower gin cocktail.
- This sparkling berry apple mocktail is suitable for all ages!
- Get ready for Memorial Day or the 4th of July with this drink called the Firecracker.
- Enjoy Cinco de Mayo and all the days this month with a Michaelada. It’s like a Mexican Bloody Mary, but it’s made with beer instead of vodka.
- Don’t want alcohol? This Orange Cherry Mocktail is the perfect choice.
- Start your day off on the right foot with this chocolate peanut butter smoothie.
- You don’t need alcohol to make a tasty pitcher of Sangria.
- The Moscow Mule is a popular drink made with ginger beer.
- Watermelon Raspberry Lemonade is the prefect summer time drink.
- For a unique beverage taste, try these dragon fruit margaritas.
- For a smooth summertime taste, try this Patron Pineapple Cocktail.
More National Days with a Beverage Theme
Be sure to also check out these other beverage inspired National Days:
- National Cocktail Day
- National Hot Buttered Rum Day
- National Hot Chocolate Day
- National Mint Julep Day
- National Stewart’s Root Beer Day
- National Mimosa Day
- National Beer Day
- National Pina Colada Day
- National Espresso Day
There are close to 2000 National Days in the year and over 150 of them are celebrated in May. To see them all, have a look at this post to discover more about the National Days in May, as well as the May Printable Calendar of National Days.
Is food your thing? Each day of the month has a food or drink associated with it, too. You’ll find all the May Food Holidays here.
Pin this post for National Beverage Day for later
Would you like a reminder of this post for National Beverage Day? Just pin this image to one of your drink boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.