In honor of National Glazed Spiral Ham Day, (April 15) I am bringing to you 15 awesome Ham Recipes for you to enjoy! Ham makes a great special occasion dinner, but it also usually means lots of left overs.
Put them to good use with these great recipes to celebrate this tasty National Day.
What is spiral ham?
Spiral hams are made by slicing a bone in ham in one continuous spiral. This leaves the meat on the bone in it original shape.
The advantage of a spiral ham is that the cook doesn’t have to carve by hand, but only needs to cut the meat off the bone itself to have perfect slices that are consistent.
This type of ham is high in sodium because of its brine and is normally hickory smoked or has a smoked flavor that is added..
Spiral hams are often served with a glaze made of sugar mixed with honey, or orange juice. Spices are added to boost the taste of the ham.
Fun Ham Facts
I love that so many ordinary things have a National Day. It really helps to make sure the it’s Always the Holidays in my house! Here are some fun ham facts:
- The first canned ham was sold in 1926 by Hormel. It’s pretty much a household name now, especially around Easter and Christmas
- Because of a Civil War surrender agreement, Virginia baked ham was given the name as a means to insult the residents of Virginia!
- A statue of the Madonna was once made from 180 pounds of ham by Chicago artist Dwight Kalb.
- In 1952, Harry J. Hoenselaar patented the spiral ham slicer and the ham glaze, too.
- Hams imported into Australia are not allowed to have a bone in them.
- In the USA, the best hams are called “country-cured”. City hams are considered of a lower caliber.
- The best known variety of country cured hams are the dark lean hams from Virginia.
Baked Ham Recipes
Easter is often celebrated with a baked ham on the table. Perhaps one of these glazed ham recipes is perfect for your holiday table!
How to cook the perfect holiday ham.
Orange Marmalade Ginger Ham Glaze
Ham Appetizer Recipes
Left over ham makes perfect appetizers. They can be as intricate as rolled pinwheels, or as simple as toppings for crudites. Any way you use it, ham gives so much flavor and gets your party started right.
Read on for dozens of recipes that you can make with left over ham.
Italian ham and cheese pinwheels.
Easy Ham and Asparagus Appetizers
Left over Ham Recipes
The flavor of ham seems to get better each time it is used. Cut it into chunks for casseroles, use it in slices for sandwiches and wraps, or as toppings for baked potatoes.
Gnocci with Ham in a Garlic Butter Sauce.
Ham Pot Pie in a Cast Iron Skillet
Creamy Ham and Veggie Pasta Salad
Cheesy Ranch Ham and Noodle Skillet
Toasted Cheddar, Ham and Arugula Sandwich
Ham for Breakfast!
Eggs and Ham are a traditional breakfast favorite, but there are lots of other ways to incorporate ham into the breakfast menu, too!
Ham and Eggs in Crispy Hash Brown Cups
Chicken, Ham and Swiss Waffles.
Ham, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Casserole.
Egg and Ham Savory Breakfast Roll Ups
Cheese and Ham Breakfast Braid
Make Soup with Ham.
Ham is the perfect protein to add to a soup to give it a rich and decadent flavor.
Split pea and ham soup (guaranteed to bring prosperity in the New Year- or so my grandmother says!)
Instant pot ham white bean soup.
Skinny Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup.
Cheesy Chicken and Ham Chowder
If you like this list of over 30 Ham recipes, you will love these roundups!
- Easy Recipes for Finger Foods
- 14 Best Breakfast Recipes
- Fast and Easy Recipes with only 3 or 4 Ingredients
- 10+ Animal Cracker Recipes
What is your favorite was to use left over ham?
Pin these ham recipes for later
Would you like a reminder of these ham recipes for glazed spiral ham day? Just pin this image to one of your cooking boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.