Are you planning on having a Halloween party this year? This graveyard picket fence is the perfect way to display your favorite Halloween sweet treats. It would make a great table centerpiece.
Nothing sets the mood for a Halloween party better than a table centerpiece with a spooky look. And if you also have lots of themed Halloween food, so much the better.
This graveyard picket fence is meant to resemble a fence that sometimes surrounds tombstones in a graveyard – complete with creepy crawlies. I made mine in a few hours and it can be used to decorate in a lot of different ways. Since I am not a metal worker and this is supposed to be a fun and EASY craft, I am making my fence with craft sticks.
Making a Graveyard Picket Fence
This post contains affiliate links for your crafting convenience.
All you need to make this project are just a few supplies. I gathered these together:
- wooden craft sticks
- white spray paint
- plastic creepy crawlies
- I piece of white felt
- hot glue gun and glue sticks.
To get started, I trimmed the edges of 32 craft sticks to make them flat edged, and used sharp scissors to make a point on each end of 15 more.
My sticks were 15cm long and I cut the ones that had the points in half to make my pickets.
This project was a trial and error thing for me, and I ended up wasting a lot of craft sticks. I ended up throwing my first draft away and started again, making the base first. It gives something for the pickets to attach to and helps to keep the whole thing square as you work.
Lay the craft sticks down side by side (as evenly as you can) and hot glue four sticks to the bottom of the base. This holds the sticks in place quickly.
To make the pickets lay two craft sticks on the table and add hot glue to the back of the pickets about 1/3 up and down from the edges and push it in place. I found it easiest to do the edges first, then the middle picket and end with the other two. Each picket section.uses five pickets.TIP: as you hot glue, be sure to test to make sure the base of them is level with the table. This will ensure they will sit well when you attach them to the base.
Once you have the six picket sections finished, just add some hot glue on the bottom edge of each picket on the inside and press against the edges of the base. You will have two picket sections on each long side and one on each short side. After you attach the sections to the base, add a couple of drops of glue where the sections meet to tack them together.ANOTHER TIP: at this point, you’ll likely have strings of glue. It is best to remove them now instead of waiting until you paint, or you’ll end up with a spider like effect. (don’t ask me how I know this!!)
Place the finished graveyard picket fence on some large cardboard and spray the whole thing white with spray paint and allow it to dry.
When the paint has dried, use hot glue to attach three plastic creepy crawlies in place, climbing up the fence to get to the goodies. Finish the project by cutting a piece of white felt the size of your base and hot gluing it in place to protect your furniture.
Time to display your goodies.
This fun Halloween picket fence makes a great table centerpiece. Use it along side of a candy corn centerpiece for extra effect.
Display your favorite Halloween sweet treats in the center of the picket area. There are lots of ways to do this:
- You could put a whole cake or small bowls of treats in the center for a special effect
- add some moss and add a clay pot pumpkin with some Halloween candy in it
- Use it to showcase my Halloween dirt cups and they looked great in it.
- Make some little graveyard cookies for a fun graveyard effect
- Add moss and fill it with gourds
You can print out the directions for the graveyard picket fence on the recipe card below.
- 32 wooden craft sticks 6" by-5/8" cut flat on each end
- 15 wooden craft sticks 6" x ⅝" cut into points on the end and then cut in half
- Hot glue gun and glue stick
- White spray paint
- 3 plastic bugs
- 1 square of white felt
- Cut 32 craft sticks flat on each end with a sharp pair of scissors.
- Make points on 15 craft sticks and then cut them in half. Try to make the flat end very straight.
- Lay 16 craft sticks side by side and hot glue four more to make braces to hold the whole thing in place as the base of your display.
- To make the picket sections (you'll make 6 of these)
- lay two craft sicks ¾" apart and hot glue five pickets to them, centered. Do the end pickets, then the middle and the other two last, making sure to have the base very level and straight. Repeat until you have 6 sections.
- Add how glue to the bottom of each section and press it in place against the base. Also tack each section to the one beside it with hot glue. You will have a rectangular shape when you are done.
- Spray the whole display with white spray paint and allow to dry.
- Use hot glue to attach the three plastic bugs in place. Cut a piece of white felt the size of your base and hot gluing it in place to protect your furniture.
- Display with your favorite Halloween goodies.