I love making floral bows with wire edged ribbon. I use them in so many ways – for basket vignettes, for door wreaths in each season and also for all my special Christmas gifts.
They are so easy to make, and store bought decorations with bows already made cost so much. Don’t spend the money. Make your own. This autumn floral bow took me just a few minutes to make and is just the right size for all sorts of uses.
Do It Yourself Autumn Floral Bow
Wire edged ribbon can be expensive, so I keep an eye out at the Dollar Store and local craft stores to see what has been marked down. I found some lovely, wide fall ribbons at Michael’s the other day and picked up two rolls of it.
One roll was made into a bow for my hydrangea wreath make over. I had originally made a wreath with fresh hydrangea flowers and a blue bow for summer, but when the flowers faded, I changed the ribbon to match the fall colors.
The bow is simple to do. Just follow these steps.
Start by making loops. If your ribbon is not the same on both sides, you will need to do one twist of the ribbon between each loop to make sure the pattern is always on the top.Keep making loops, twisting the ribbon one turn between each loop.I made 10 loops, five on each side. Be sure to leave enough of a tail to make a front center loop and also have a left tail.
Make a front center loop.
Take the tail of the ribbon and insert it from the back through the top of the center loop and toward the left side. Pull the tail through slightly.Take a small piece of jute about 12 inches long and slip it through the front center loop.
Bring the jute around to the back and tie it very tightly. The tighter it is, the more the bow will bunch out! Do not cut the jute. It will be used to tie it onto whatever project you are making, in my case my wreath.
When you are done, it will look something like this.
Gently take each loop and fluff it open and position it the way you would like it too look. That is all there is to it. This bow cost me $1 and looks just lovely on my hydrangea wreath. All that was needed to finish it off were a couple of autumn floral picks.