These adorable turkey cupcakes will make be the star of your Thanksgiving Dessert Table. They are colorful and bright and will be gobbled up in a flash!
It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving is just around the corner. This means lots of turkey with gravy and stuffing.
But don’t let the turkeys stop there. This adorable Thanksgiving dessert idea is so much fun to make and the kids will love to help out (as well as to eat the turkeys when you are done!)
For another fun Thanksgiving dessert idea, check out these candy corn turkey cupcakes. They are also a delight and fun to make.
DIY Thanksgiving Project: Turkey Cupcakes
These decorations on these turkeys are made completely with colored frosting and special icing tips. Cake decorating is so much fun if you have the right tools, and you end up with a realistic looking dessert.
To make these cute turkey cupcakes, you will start by making up a batch of normal chocolate cupcakes. This will give you the base of the turkey body and a firm surface to pipe the colors on to.
Don’t fill the cupcakes too full. You want just a slight domed top. Once the cupcakes have cooled, you will mix your frosting colors.
Place some of the vanilla frosting into three separate bowls. Add red food coloring to one, yellow to a second bowl, and red and yellow to make orange to the third.
Add couplers to the end of your icing bags. This will hold the cake decorating tips in place.
Combine until you get the three colors you like for your turkey. Add the three colors of icing into icing bags.
You will need three cake decorating tips – a single pointed end, large single end (like #3 and #12) and a flat leaf opening tip such as a #103.
Now comes the fun part. Use the three colors of icing to make the feathers of the turkey by making a row of red leaf shapes on the outside and alternating with orange and yellow frosting until you have three rows.
Then switch to the large opening tip and the chocolate frosting to pipe the turkey head. Vanilla and chocolate frosting make the eyes, yellow makes the nose and red pipes the turkey crop.
- Duncan Hines Chocolate Cake mix - made into 12 cupcakes
- Tub of Chocolate Frosting
- Tub of Vanilla Frosting
- Red and Yellow gel food coloring.
- Cake decorating tips. (single pointed end, large single end and a flat leaf opening tip such as a #3, #12,and #103)
- Make the cake mix as directed on the box and make cupcakes instead of a whole cake. Allow them to cool.
- Place some vanilla frosting into three bowls. Add red food coloring to one, yellow to a second bowl, and red and yellow to make orange to the third. Combine until you get the three colors you like.
- Using the #103 leaf tip and the red food coloring in a pastry bag, make a row of red leaves along the outside of the cupcake. Switch to the orange frosting and add a second row inside the red row. Finish with a row of yellow "feathers" inside the orange ones.
- Switch to the chocolate frosting and the larger opening tip and pipe the turkey head in the center of the cupcake. Decorate with red yellow and vanilla frosting as shown above to decorate the turkey face.
- Kootek Cake Decorating Supplies 52-in-1 Baking Accessories Turntable Stands Cake Tips, Icing Smoother Spatula, Piping Pastry Bags and Decorating Pen Frosting Tools Set Kitchen Utensils
- Amosfun 48 Pcs Thanksgiving Cupcake Toppers and Wrappers Decoration Set Food Fruit Picks for Party Decoration
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.