This Clay Pot Snowman project is an easy craft to do with kids. Using garden pots for crafts is a fun way to recycle left over items into an adorable terracotta Christmas project that will add a touch of holiday decor to any table.
Recycling old items into new holiday decor is one of the fun parts of the holidays for me. See my alphabet block Christmas tree for another fun example of turning old items into new treasures.
Are you as much into Christmas decorating as I am? Check out my recent post featuring the Incredible Christmas Place. It is a Christmas lover’s experience of a lifetime!
I have quite a large collection of snowmen in my boxes of Christmas decorations. Some of them I have been given over time and many of them I have made myself. This adorable Snowman made from flower pots is the latest addition to my collection.
Since I love to garden, I always have a bunch of terra cotta pots that don’t have plants in them. I’ve used them in various ways in crafts, so incorporating one of them into this snowman seemed like a logical step, since Christmas is just a few weeks away.
(See my clay pot love bug candy dish for another cute idea.)
More snowman DIY projects
A snowman project is very versatile. They look great around the holidays but can also be left out on display in the winter months when the snow is all around us. Check out these snowman projects for more fun ideas.
- Snowman Paintbrush ornament
- Snowman Light bulb ornament
- Light bulb Snowman
- Mason Jar Snowman
- Snowman Wall Hanging
Making a Clay Pot Snowman.
A snowman made out of clay pots requires very few supplies and most are those that you would have in your craft room.
(This post contains affiliate links for your crafting experience.) To make the project, you will need the following supplies:
Start by spraying the clay pot with the white spray primer and letting it dry. Paint the face of the snowman with orange and black craft paint and hot glue the painted head to the top of the clay pot.
I used a pencil to draw the face of the snowman and then painted it. Since the head is made of Styrofoam, the design will be irregular. (If you want a perfectly smooth finish, you can paint a 2 1/2″ wooden ball.)
I had the Styrofoam and liked the texture of it so I used it. His face has a quirky, fun look that I just love!
Adding some clothes to this fun snowman made out of flower pots
It’s time to give the snowman some warm clothes. Cut three long pieces of the blue felt about 1 1/4″ wide and hot glue them into one long piece.
Cut four slits in each end and wrap the felt around the neck of the snowman. Tack it in place with a dot of hot glue. Attach the two snowflake stickers to each scarf end and cut 2 small balls out of the black felt and glue them in place for the coal.
We can’t let his ears get cold, can we? To make the ear muffs, fold your plaid ribbon into threes and glue the edges over.
There are so many easy possibilities for displaying this cute little Clay Pot Snowman in your home. Just think outside the box! Do you have an extra clay pot? Turn it into this fun Terracotta Christmas project!
For more Christmas inspiration, see my Pinterest It’s Christmas Time Board.
I used a larger Clay pot to make a Christmas bell. You can see that project here.
Admin note: This clay pot snowman post first appeared on the blog in November of 2017. I have updated the post to include a printable recipe card, more snowman projects and a video for you to enjoy.
- 1 4″ clay pot
- 1 Styrofoam ball
- 2 x 1" blue pom poms
- Felt - (blue and a small piece of black
- 2 x snowflake stickers
- 1 piece of plaid ribbon
- Glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Acrylic craft paint - black and orange
- White spray primer
- Be sure the clay pot is clean. Spray it with white spray primer and allow it to dry.
- While your pot is drying, use the craft paints to paint a face on the Styrofoam ball.
- Cut four slits in each end of a piece of blue felt and wrap the felt around the neck of the snowman.
- Tack the scarf in place with a dot of hot glue.
- Attach the of the two snowflake stickers to each scarf end.
- Cut 3 small circles out of the black felt and glue them in place for the coal buttons.
- Fold the plaid ribbon into threes and glue the edges over.
- Attach it with hot glue on top of the head and glue one of the blue pom poms on each side of the head over the ribbon ends to make ear muffs.
- Display with pride.
This cute snowman will make a fun table decoration. Add some festive holidays decor, such as holly, pinecones, or trees, or a candy dish to create a Christmas vignette.
- White Clay Pot 4 inch with Drainage Hole
- flic-flac 44PCS 4 x 4 inches (10 x10cm) Assorted Color Felt Fabric Sheets Patchwork Sewing DIY Craft 1mm Thick
- YSBER 5pcs Snowflake Window Clings Decals - Christmas Glass Static Stickers - for Holiday Winter Decoration Supplies
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."