Do you know that April 28 is National Blueberry Pie Day? In honor of this national day, I’ve put together a collection of blueberry recipes for you to enjoy.
I was born in Maine and have fond memories of my family picking blueberries every year when they were in season.
This delicious fruit is tasty when eaten alone, but also when used in recipes. Check out the list below for some blueberry filled inspiration!
Each month has loads of national days to celebrate. April has over 150 of them! Check out the list of April national days here.
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you if you purchase through an affiliate link.
Fun blueberry facts
Blueberries are a powerhouse food that is loaded with nutrients. Find out more about this humble berry with these fun facts.
- The blueberry bush is a relative of azaleas and rhododendrons.
- Blueberries are a perennial flowering plant that comes back in the spring each year.
- Honeybees and bumble bees both pollinate blueberry plants.
- You can use blueberries to make a delicious blueberry wine.
- More than 500 million pounds of blueberries are produced in the USA (the US is the largest producer of blueberries in the world.)
- Blueberry plants can live up to 60 years!
- Blueberries make a great healthy snack with loads of medical benefits and only 80 calories in a cup.
- Maine is the leading producer of “low bush” blueberries in the world. Go Maine!
- Blueberries can be used as a natural dye. Early American settlers made grey paint by combining blueberries in milk and boiling it.
- Blueberries ranked number one as far as antioxidant health benefits go when compared with more than 40 fresh fruits and vegetables.
- A blueberry pie with wild Maine blueberries is the official state dessert of the U.S. state of Maine.
- Blueberry pies appeared in the Appledore Cook Book in 1872.
Blueberries can be used in drinks, desserts, salads and main courses to add a tart taste. Blend in some sugar as well, and you have a whole host of sweet desserts. You can even use them to make ice cream!
Food holidays in April
Each month has a full calendar of foodie national days. These days give us the perfect opportunity to celebrate and have fun with friends with new and tasty recipes.
In April, National Blueberry Pie Day is just one delicious food holiday. See the full list of national food days in April here.
And if you enjoy other types of pies, you can celebrate them on these national days:
- National Rhubarb Pie Day – January 23
- National Cherry Pie Day – February 20
- National Banana Cream Pie Day – March 2
- Eat an Eskimo Pie Day – March 28
- National Peach Cobbler Day – April 13
- National Blueberry Pie Day – April 28
Share the word on social media with this tweet:You are in for a fresh taste today. It's #NationalBlueberryPieDay. Celebrate the day with some tasty blueberry recipes at Always The Holidays. #blueberryrecipes Click To Tweet
Blueberry pie recipes
You can’t celebrate National Blueberry Pie day without having a slice of blueberry pie. Check out these recipes for something new.
- Make the Perfect Blueberry pie. It is National Blueberry PIE day, after all!
- Combine apples, pears and blueberries for this delicious fruit pie.
- This creamy blueberry pie is topped with a layer of custard made with sour cream.
- Make a graham cracker crust with a cheesecake center and blueberry glaze and you have an amazing Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie.
- This no bake blueberry pie is gluten free and has a honey whip cream topping.
- This easy blueberry pie is just bursting with the flavor of fresh blueberries.
In honor of this national day, here are some tasty blueberry recipes
Blueberry pies are just one of the ways to use fresh blueberries. Check out these recipes for more ideas.
- Blueberry Granola Bars – these delicious on the go breakfast or snack bars are dairy free!
- These Blueberry Streusel “muffin top” muffins are so light and fluffy.
- Top this Blueberry Cobbler with a dollop of cream or ice cream and you have the perfect sweet ending.
- Blueberries are not just for desserts. This Paleo Blueberry Pecan and Avocado Salad makes a great lunch time choice.
- Looking for the perfect after workout snack? Try these Blueberry Energy Bites with a yogurt icing.
- This kid friendly Blueberry Spritzer is a wonderful and tasty way to cool down in the summer time.
Still want more? Here are some more fun blueberry recipes
What better way to celebrate National Blueberry Pie Day than to get the taste of fresh blueberry pie with one of these tasty recipes.
- Here is one is for the grownups! See how to make Blueberry Vodka at home.
- This Vanilla Blueberry Chia Seeds Pudding is full of fiber, protein and antioxidants.
- Cool down on a hot day with these Blueberry Lemonade Ice Pops.
- Perfect on toast, this Blueberry Jam has a hint of heat from poblano peppers. Try it for Cinco de Mayo!
- These Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies have only four ingredients. Make up a batch today.
- What could be more tasty on a hot summer day than this delicious Blueberry Milkshake?
And even more blueberry recipes!
From breakfast to dinner, and even in cocktails. You can’t beat the taste of blueberries in recipes.
- The kids will really love these Blueberry Pancakes with Sprinkles. What a way to start the day!
- Get breakfast on the table in a hurry with this Make Ahead Blueberry French Toast recipe.
- Want blueberries year round? See this tutorial on How to Freeze Blueberries.
- Making ice cream with fruit is really very easy. See this Blueberry Cream Cheese Ice Cream recipe for starters.
- OH MY! This Blueberry Breakfast Cake is jam packed with the fresh taste of blueberries.
- This Blueberry and Spinach Salad has strawberries and poppy seeds for a great detox meal.
- Look at the pretty colors in this Blueberry Mojito Cocktail!
If you liked this collection of recipes, you may enjoy these, too!
- Over 30 Ham Recipes
- 20+ Chocolate Covered Recipes
- 10+ Fun Animal Cracker Recipes
- 20+ Tasty Pretzel Recipes
What is your favorite way to use blueberries in recipes?
Admin note: This post first appeared on the blog in April of 2017. I have updated the post with new recipes and photos, as well as some additional blueberry fun facts.
Pin these blueberry recipes for later
Would you like a reminder of these tasty blueberry recipes? Just pin this image to one of your cooking boards on Pinterest so that you can easily find it later.
Watch our YouTube video to learn about more national food days in April.