I was born in Maine and have fond memories of my family picking blueberries every year when they were in season. Do you know that today is National Blueberry Pie Day. In honor of this national day? I’ve put together a collection of blueberry recipes for you to enjoy.
There is nothing quite like the taste of a tart blueberry pie to put you in a summer time mood. This dessert was a favorite in my family for a sweet ending to a family meal or outdoor barbecue.
Fun Blueberry Facts
- The blueberry bush is a relative of azaleas and rhododendrons.
- Honeybees and bumble bees both pollinate blueberry plants.
- You can use blueberries to make a delicious blueberry wine.
- More than 500 million pounds of blueberries are produced in the USA (the US is the largest producer of blueberries in the world.)
- Blueberry plants can live up to 60 years!
- Blueberries make a great healthy snack with loads of medical benefits and only 80 calories in a cup.
- Maine is the leading producer of “low bush” blueberries in the world. Go Maine!
- Blueberries can be used as a natural dye. Early American settlers made grey paint by combining blueberries in milk and boiling it
Blueberries can be used in drinks, desserts, salads and main courses to add a tart taste. Blend in some sugar as well, and you have a whole host of sweet desserts. You can even use them to make ice cream!
In honor of this National Day, here are some tasty Blueberry Recipes.
- Blueberry Granola Bars – these delicious on the go breakfast or snack bars are dairy free!
- These Blueberry Streusel “muffin top” muffins are so light and fluffy.
- Top this Blueberry Cobbler with a dollop of cream or ice cream and you have the perfect sweet ending.
- Blueberries are not just for desserts. This Paleo Blueberry Pecan and Avocado Salad makes a great lunch time choice.
- Looking for the perfect after workout snack? Try these Blueberry Energy Bites with a yogurt icing.
- This kid friendly Blueberry Spritzer is a wonderful and tasty way to cool down in the summer time.
- Make the Perfect Blueberry pie. It is National Blueberry PIE day, after all!
Still want more? Here are some more fun Blueberry Recipes.
- Here is one is for the grownups! See how to make Blueberry Vodka at home.
- This Vanilla Blueberry Chia Seeds Pudding is full of fiber, protein and antioxidants.
- Cool down on a hot day with these Blueberry Lemonade Ice Pops.
- This Blueberry BBQ Sauce combines with tomatoes and white meat chicken to make some patriotic BBQ skewers.
- Perfect on toast, this Blueberry Jam has a hint of heat from poblano peppers. Try it for Cinco de Mayo!
- These Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies have only four ingredients. Make up a batch today.
- What could be more tasty on a hot summer day than this delicious Blueberry Milkshake?
And even more Blueberry Recipes!
- The kids will really love these Blueberry Pancakes with Sprinkles. What a way to start the day!
- Get breakfast on the table in a hurry with this Make Ahead Blueberry French Toast recipe.
- Want blueberries year round? See this tutorial on How to Freeze Blueberries.
- Making ice cream with fruit is really very easy. See this Blueberry Cream Cheese Ice Cream recipe for starters.
- OH MY! This Blueberry Breakfast Cake is jam packed with the fresh taste of blueberries.
- This Blueberry and Spinach Salad has strawberries and poppy seeds for a great detox meal.
- Look at the pretty colors in this Blueberry Mojito Cocktail!
If you liked this collection of recipes, you may enjoy these, too!
- Over 30 Ham Recipes
- 20+ Chocolate Covered Recipes
- 10+ Fun Animal Cracker Recipes
- 20+ Tasty Pretzel Recipes
What is your favorite way to use blueberries in recipes?