Today is National Animal Cracker Day. Remember those little red boxes, shaped like circus train cars full of tiny animals? This childhood treat has it’s own special day! In honor of the day, I thought it would be fun to celebrate this National Day with some great tasting Animal Cracker Recipes.Which animal was your favorite? I found 17 different ones in my last package of animal crackers. I used to like the lion, but seem to gravitate towards the giraffe right now. April the Giraffe is all over social media, with everyone waiting for her calf to be born, so I bet many people will choose this animal as a favorite!
Animal crackers recipes can be made in all sorts of ways. Crush the crackers to use as a crust for bars, use them as toppings for cupcakes and other sweets, or even make your own home made animal crackers.
Animal Cracker Fun Facts
- Animal shaped cookies have been enjoyed as a treat from the early 1800s in England.
- Nabisco started selling Barnum’s Animal crackers in 1902. They were named after one of the country’s greatest showmen, P.T. Barnum.
- Believe it or not, the original carton was intended to be a Christmas ornament!
- 37 different animals have been featured in Barnum’s Animals Crackers since they were introduced.
- Surprisingly, Nabisco does not pay any licensing fee to the Barnum and Bailey Circus
- The Koala is the latest addition to the menagerie. It was added in 2002 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the crackers. Nabisco sponsored a “name our next animal contest” and the overwhelming winner was Mr. Koala.
Animal Cracker Recipes
These animal cracker recipes are fun, tasty and will delight both young, and young at heart.
Lemon Cheesecake Bars with an Animal Cracker Crust. – This is a light, fluffy and tart dessert.
Semi Homemade Animal Cracker Cookies – Quick and easy frosted Animal crackers are easy with this recipe.
Animal Cookie Ice Cream – How about using your favorite cracker in some ice cream?
Frosted Animal Cracker Bark – Bark makes a great home made gift idea.
Animal Cracker Cupcake Toppers – Use your little buddies to dress up some cupcakes
Circus Animal Cookie Cheesecake Pie – What better for a colorful cheesecake than these fun circus animals?
Shortbread Animal Cracker Cookies – Delightfully light shortbread gets formed into animal shapes.
Homemade Animal Crackers – No need to buy them. Make your own!
Cinnamon Animal Crackers – These animal crackers have a cinnamon finish to them.
Paleo Animal Crackers – A few easy substitutes and your animal crackers fit in the Paleo diet!
Have you used animal crackers in cooking? What did you do with your tiny animals? Let us know in the comments below, and don’t forget to tell us which is your favorite!
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."