This adorable light bulb snowman ornament is all dressed up for the cold in his blue scarf and hat. He would make a really cute addition to your Christmas tree.
One of my favorite things to do is to make holiday decor projects with household items that might end up in the trash. Do you have a burned out light bulb? Don’t toss it out! Instead, turn it into a cute ornament for your Christmas tree.
Its time to make a Light Bulb Snowman Ornament
This post contains affiliate links for your crafting experience. To make this project you will need the following supplies:
- One used light bulb
- Black acrylic craft paint
- Medium blue acrylic craft paint
- White spray primer
- Paint brushes
- Medium Blue Felt
- 1″ White Pom-pom
- 1 Snowflake sticker
- Glue stick
- Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
- Silver glitter
- 1/4″ Blue Ribbon
Start by spraying your light bulb with the primer and allow it to dry. I found it helpful to use the cut out that comes inside a light bulb box where the neck of the bulb fits to let it stand upright to dry. Be sure to REALLY let it dry. If you don’t, when you start to handle it, the paint will peel. (Don’t ask me how I know this!!)
Now is the fun part! I made a brim for the hat by rolling a 2″ piece of blue felt and then adding glue to the edge of it to seal. This makes the brim of the hat a bit “puffy” instead of flat like a normal piece of felt would look.
Next, tie the blue ribbon around the top of the light bulb to use as a hanger. The brim that I just made is attached to the light bulb top with hot glue and the white pom pom is added to the top of the hat.
The scarf is a piece of 3/4″ blue felt. Wrap it around the part of the light bulb that starts to get larger, being sure to leave room for the snowman’s face. Attach it to the bulb with hot glue. Cut the ends of the scarf a few times with the scissors and spot glue the ends in place.
Paint the snowman’s face with the black and orange craft paint and add buttons to his stomach with the black paint, too. I used this design for the face if you would like to print it out..
Next, I attached the snowflake sticker on the brim of the hat.
The final step is to add the mittens. I cut them out of a scrap of the blue felt and attached them under the scarf with the hot glue. Finally, I used the glue stick on the brim of the hat, mittens and scarf to add glitter to it. Ta da! My DIY Light Bulb Snowman is done! Isn’t he sweet?
This adorable DIY Light Bulb Snowman is ready to hang on your Christmas tree. He is sure to become a family favorite for years to come!
For more cute Christmas ideas, visit my Pinterest It’s Christmas Time Board.
- Spray the light bulb with white spray primer and let it dry thoroughly. Then paint the top of the light bulb with the blue paint.
- Tie the blue ribbon on the top of the light bulb for a hanger. Roll a 2" piece of blue felt into a tube and attach the ends with hot glue. Attach it to the top of the light bulb. Glue the white pom pom to the top and attach the white snowflake sticker to the hat brim.
- Wind a ¾" piece of blue felt around the light bulb for a scarf. Cut the ends of the scarf and attach with hot glue.
- Paint the face of the snowman and add buttons.
- Cut small mittens from scraps of the blue felt and add below the scarf with hot glue.
- Use the glue stick on the hat brim, scarf and mittens and sprinkle glitter over the glue. Let dry and hang on your tree.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission from the sale, but the price is the same for you. I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."